Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

BUG OUT ....Getting the JK ready...

Old 12-12-2012, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never understood the whole "bug-out" thing. Frankly, I'm a bit worried about those he seem to "want" something to happen to they can prove their preparedness.

I'd think "bug-in" is more important depending on where you live.

If a natural disaster hits....I'm either going to hunker down, or I'm going to drive to a different part of the state and stay with friends or relatives or just grab a hotel.

If something like a nuke-u-lur explosions happens, I'm not sure what good bugging out to the country will do if you are already fried, or dying from intense radiation.

Or are you talking some sort of Red Dawn event?
Old 12-13-2012, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by panthermark
I never understood the whole "bug-out" thing. Frankly, I'm a bit worried about those he seem to "want" something to happen to they can prove their preparedness.

I'd think "bug-in" is more important depending on where you live.

If a natural disaster hits....I'm either going to hunker down, or I'm going to drive to a different part of the state and stay with friends or relatives or just grab a hotel.

If something like a nuke-u-lur explosions happens, I'm not sure what good bugging out to the country will do if you are already fried, or dying from intense radiation.

Or are you talking some sort of Red Dawn event?
I thought the same way for many years. Then i started really rresearching it because i coild not understand the interest in this. Turns out that there's many real potential threats out there which are much higher probability than nukes or red dawn scenarios that would make a Bug-out location valuable. Most probable today are pandemic flu, power grid failure and/or economic collapse, IMO. In all these cases, looting and other lawlessness is the biggest issue, so why not get away from the chaos if you can. Besides, even the govt recommends disaster preparedness.

Think of it as an insurance policy that's also an appreciating asset. If something happens, my family has a place run to. If nothing happens, we have a place to vacation. And I'd much rather hold my savings in an appreciating asset (land) than in the depreciating dollar (inflation can't stay low for much longer)

Just my two cents...
Old 01-08-2013, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Just read through this entire thread. I've wanted to build a BOB for a while, but haven't gotten around to it. I'm going to finally start working on it and turning my JKU into a BOV as well. Since I want to get back into camping this should help me out as well.

Thanks for all of the great information so far and keep it coming.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by toxicity_27
Just read through this entire thread. I've wanted to build a BOB for a while, but haven't gotten around to it. I'm going to finally start working on it and turning my JKU into a BOV as well. Since I want to get back into camping this should help me out as well.

Thanks for all of the great information so far and keep it coming.
You should check out the expedition modded jeeps thread, if you haven't already. Lots of great ideas for being in the middle of nowhere for extended periods of time with little or no support.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Cochise12
You should check out the expedition modded jeeps thread, if you haven't already. Lots of great ideas for being in the middle of nowhere for extended periods of time with little or no support.
I'm subscribed to that thread as well.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rubicon - it's more than a Wrangler model

For those who are interested in more BOV details, I have some posts on the Public side of alpha rubicon dot com ... However I'd like to get this thread back on the original topic from page 1:

" I would like to go back to original thread topic on page 1.
What OEM parts would you have to replace on your BOV Jeep JK - in order to get it running again after an EMP?
Sure a spare battery is a good beginning, but we should probably ask a MOPAR or Chrysler expert or engineer specifically what part #'s are most likely to get zapped out of commission.
Then I could order, and secure those parts in a cage or metal box.

Anybody know the stock part #'s?"

I just installed a Mean Green ($430) alternator today, but it's a direct bolt-in so if needed I could revert to a stocker. At $445 for OEM it's not any cheaper than a Mean Greenie.

I'm trying to find out if there are any dual battery setups that truly isolate both + positive and - negative terminals. So that if EMP'd I could at least manually reconnect the aux battery and have a runner.
I think I will at least need a starter solenoid, probably a starter, and a couple of PCM's for the engine and tranny. I'm just ball-parking but to me that sounds like about $2,000 in spare parts to install over the course of 10 man-hours.

Anyone with experience able to contribute real-world time & materials data? If I can ever save-up that much cashola, I will store then in ammo cans for shielding.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Very interesting thread....subscribed!
Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Josephus
For those who are interested in more BOV details, I have some posts on the Public side of alpha rubicon dot com ... However I'd like to get this thread back on the original topic from page 1:

" I would like to go back to original thread topic on page 1.
What OEM parts would you have to replace on your BOV Jeep JK - in order to get it running again after an EMP?
Sure a spare battery is a good beginning, but we should probably ask a MOPAR or Chrysler expert or engineer specifically what part #'s are most likely to get zapped out of commission.
Then I could order, and secure those parts in a cage or metal box.

Anybody know the stock part #'s?"

I just installed a Mean Green ($430) alternator today, but it's a direct bolt-in so if needed I could revert to a stocker. At $445 for OEM it's not any cheaper than a Mean Greenie.

I'm trying to find out if there are any dual battery setups that truly isolate both + positive and - negative terminals. So that if EMP'd I could at least manually reconnect the aux battery and have a runner.
I think I will at least need a starter solenoid, probably a starter, and a couple of PCM's for the engine and tranny. I'm just ball-parking but to me that sounds like about $2,000 in spare parts to install over the course of 10 man-hours.

Anyone with experience able to contribute real-world time & materials data? If I can ever save-up that much cashola, I will store then in ammo cans for shielding.
If you use any thing for shielding make sure your parts are not touching metal to metal other wise its pointless could technically use a galvanized steel trash can just use some form of insulation to stop your parts from touching the metal
Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

This is a great thread, and more important than trolls give it credit. Here is why:

Hurricane Katrina displaced an entire region. Fuel shortages ranged from total local outages to extreme shortages in 7 states. Continued shortages would have significantly reduced food resupply. Your local grocery store has about three days food on hand til virtual complete outages. Their local resupply then has about 10 days food on hand. But if it can't get there, you can't eat it.

Hurricanes have major regional impact and can impact literally thousands of square miles.

Tornadoes and tornado outbreaks can impact thousand of square miles with minor to catastrophic destruction.

The first responders in hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, earthquakes are YOU and YOUR NEIGHBORS. The government will need 3 days to get minimal supplies anywhere. It's just you and your neighbors.

So what you got is what you will have for up to 2 Weeks (per the Feds- release early March 2013). Having a BOV and supplies will allow you to get out of dodge or save you and your neighbors butts. Having your own fuel will keep mobility an option. If you move and stop moving not according to plan, you are at the locals mercy. They won't help because they don't know you and don't care about you. They will move you along and not aid you husbanding supplies for their own.

So you can rely on people who don't know you, don't care about you or you can make sure you have what you need to survive until the sun comes out again. If you want to take care of your family, it is your duty to be ready. If you want a smaller family, well, carry on.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeep du Boy Swanny
This is a great thread, and more important than trolls give it credit. Here is why:

Hurricane Katrina displaced an entire region. Fuel shortages ranged from total local outages to extreme shortages in 7 states. Continued shortages would have significantly reduced food resupply. Your local grocery store has about three days food on hand til virtual complete outages. Their local resupply then has about 10 days food on hand. But if it can't get there, you can't eat it.

Hurricanes have major regional impact and can impact literally thousands of square miles.

Tornadoes and tornado outbreaks can impact thousand of square miles with minor to catastrophic destruction.

The first responders in hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, earthquakes are YOU and YOUR NEIGHBORS. The government will need 3 days to get minimal supplies anywhere. It's just you and your neighbors.

So what you got is what you will have for up to 2 Weeks (per the Feds- release early March 2013). Having a BOV and supplies will allow you to get out of dodge or save you and your neighbors butts. Having your own fuel will keep mobility an option. If you move and stop moving not according to plan, you are at the locals mercy. They won't help because they don't know you and don't care about you. They will move you along and not aid you husbanding supplies for their own.

So you can rely on people who don't know you, don't care about you or you can make sure you have what you need to survive until the sun comes out again. If you want to take care of your family, it is your duty to be ready. If you want a smaller family, well, carry on.
Couldn't agree more!

Quick Reply: BUG OUT ....Getting the JK ready...