Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buying guide help! Rubicon worth it?

Old 03-12-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I originally wrote a nice write-up explaining the value of the Rubi but when i hit preview, it made me relog in and erased my post...

But i think this is a good answer to your question.... bang for the buck to get anything close to a Rubicon you'll MSRP at least $30,000.00 (I did with a hardtop)

and then there is this

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...e-001a107484fa
Old 03-12-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depending on what you plan on doing with the jeep, I'd say go with a rubi if you plan on doing some wheeling. In my opinion, if you are looking for a daily driver and something to Maby take off road very rarely, go with an x. Yet another vote for the rubi!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

I agree with most replies on here, its personal opinion, myself, I went with a Rubi as I found mine at an unbelievable deal (18k with only 4k miles on it after an elderly man decided not to tow it behind his RV any longer) Now would I do it again? Probably so, I run 35's on my stock gears and have the OME HD lift and it runs perfectly fine. Will I change them? Absolutely, it's my next mod, but if you don't have the money to throw out for upgraded gears, tires, wheels, lift, chip, rock rails, etc etc all at once then the Rubi gives you the option of greater stock parts than the others. The stock lockers are nice, could they fail? yes any part stock or oem can. Quick discos come in handy, whos to say you cant replace them later. D44 are awesome, and you have them front and rear, and the transfer case is definitely worth the extra.

I'm not sure how the others are doing the math but I don't even remotely see how you can upgrade the stock X or Sahara and equal the increased cost of a Rubi because by just replacing the drivetrain portions everyone is talking about it is not ALL you're going to do to your Jeep. You have to factor in the additional cost of the bumper, lift, wheels, tires, winch . . . . the list goes on. I dont know how much money you have to throw into mods but it takes (most of us on here) quite a while to get our rigs like we want them. Mine is no where near what I want it to be, but financing the initial cost of a Rubi and doing additional mods along the way was a far better option for me than buying a vehicle that I knew coming out of the gate I was going to have to sink more money into and do immediate mods. Just a few thoughts and my opinion only.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you want a Jeep for the looks (lifft tires mall crawler) or do you plan on making this off road Jeep thing (hitting the trails in your Jeep) a serious hobby?

Sounds like from your post...your already hooked brother. Welcome home.

All Jeeps are very capable. One more time. All Jeep Wranglers are very capable. The Rubicon is just the most capable out of the box.

You can do plenty of rock crawling in an X. Even Moab.

Don't listen to the...buy an X and throw everything away for all new parts for less than the rubicon. Unless you planning on running the most difficult trails in the US/competition with 44" tires and 20k in Pro Rock 60's another 20k for a Hemi Swap...the Rubicon is not a waste of money. Most that say this crap (build it for less) never finish or have Rubi envy.

Of course, some do. But, they are very mechanically inclined and hunt for cheap used parts and do the labor themselves. Are you?

Good luck! You will soon understand the addiction and have no money

BTW I have the Rubicon

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2011, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

This part of WI, my Sahara has done just fine. My Sahara fully loaded was about the price of a bare bones Rubi.. That was my deciding factor. If money wasn't an issue, Rubi all the way.

Last edited by glocksrfun; 03-12-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying guide help! Rubicon worth it?