Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buying guide help! Rubicon worth it?

Old 03-01-2011, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kirtyb1k03
Thanks guys for responding! First off It's pretty clear that I'm a NEWB here and in the arena of off-roading so that is why I ask the question. I have heard 2 story's that the rubicon would be good and reliable for what I wanna do and I have heard that they are weak and why spend the extra money when I'm gonna have to spend money replacing and or upgrading these particular parts.
So I realize that I'm going to hear both sides, pro and con, but that's why I posted so I can get hopefully good info to make my decision when that day comes. I plan on contuning to look through the forums to get as much knowledge as possible.
Thanks again!
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ort-vs-Rubicon
Old 03-01-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Freak

This is my first JK as well. I just bought a UL rubi. I was in the same boat as you. I wasnt sure what model to get. I dont do much off roading only beach driving and plan on taking 3 or 4 trips a year to a orv park. I cant make your choice for you, but I can tell you why I made mine.

I bought the rubi cause I could afford it one. And also, I wanted Navi and power windows. Now I dont believe any X comes with the navi (I could be wrong though). Then I looked further into the price of upgrading stuff (lockers, gears, sliders, tires) I realized I would have to dump too much money into the jeep to make it how I wanted it. I am never going to get 35 inch tires, I may lift but only a 2 inch. So with the rubi I wont have to re gear.

I then decided I would get a rubi so I wasnt force to mod a jeep to make it the way I want it..... Now any mod money I spend will just build upon what I already love. I ended up paying more for the jeep then I wanted too because there were no black rubicons in my area, other then the call of duty one. I didnt want to wait and order so I just picked up the COD one.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks Dan415. Hey I used to live in Herriman. Man I miss Utah!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can get a good deal on a rubi go for it! However, I am very pleased with the outcome of my Sahara. Not bashing the Rubi's but when I was looking, I wanted to add a lift, tires, bumpers, winch & lighting from the beginning and the extra dough for a stock rubi would kill my budget for modifications!!

Personally, saved myself over $6K going with a JKU Sahara vs rubi. I have placed that $6K into mods (lift, bumpers, bigger tires/wheels, winch, lighting, snorkel, quick disco's, superchips) and still have money left over from not going with the Rubi and I feel it functions very well off/on road and looks very unique over a stock rubi!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
If you can get a good deal on a rubi go for it! However, I am very pleased with the outcome of my Sahara. Not bashing the Rubi's but when I was looking, I wanted to add a lift, tires, bumpers, winch & lighting from the beginning and the extra dough for a stock rubi would kill my budget for modifications!!

Personally, saved myself over $6K going with a JKU Sahara vs rubi. I have placed that $6K into mods (lift, bumpers, bigger tires/wheels, winch, lighting, snorkel, quick disco's, superchips) and still have money left over from not going with the Rubi and I feel it functions very well off/on road and looks very unique over a stock rubi!
But depending on how you use your jeep, you are still minus the better gear ratio, transfer case, d44 front and lockers and factory warranty to cover those parts.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on what kind of wheeling you do (or plan to do). My previous Jeep was a '91 Cherokee. I drove that thing for 370,000 miles. I beat the crap out of it, and it beat the crap out of me.....

I hadn't much experience with the Wrangler line, but I read a great deal prior to purchasing my 2010 Rubicon. It has every feature I want, as I really didn't want to try to modify an X or a Sahara, and it offers some peace of mind whilst out in the boonies (after all, I'm old and feeble.....just ask my wife).

But, like I said, what are your wheeling plans? Tough rock-crawling, mud-whomping, etc? Or, cross-country / overland trips? Daily driver? Or all of the above? If the answer is all of the above, then the Rubicon will offer peace of mind. If you're planning to stay away from sever rock-crawling, mud-whomping, then perhaps an X or Sahara (this isn't to say the X or Sahara can't perform well crawling rocks, etc.).
Old 03-01-2011, 01:04 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
But depending on how you use your jeep, you are still minus the better gear ratio, transfer case, d44 front and lockers.
Gearing
Whatever ... I would still have to upgrade the 4:10 gearing on the rubi regardless if you run 35's or bigger so that is a total wash for people wanting to upgrade to bigger tires & retain good performance! .

Lockers:
My JKU sahara with LSD has gone the same places as a rubi having lockers engaged and it has done very well just need to get on the skinny pedal a little more in certain situations and pick your spots!

When I upgrade my gearing to 4:88's a rear locker will be added and I still will be cheaper in overall cost of a rubi! So lockers are another wash in the equation to me regardless of having an open front.

So it basically comes down to a difference in transfer case and a front D44.

D44
The front D44 would be nice.....but still has failed on some rigs. I will beef up my D30 when I add 35's and I will not be going any bigger.... so it's a small cost over a rubi to beef up the D30.

Transfer Case:

Transfer case 4:1 would be nice for some of my steeper rock climbs or even crawling but I have yet to require it and my 6spd & 2:72 transfer case has handled all the situations I have gone and when I upgrade to 4:88's this should help with the lower gearing in 1st and 4lo.

For my needs a Sahara built up with 3" lift, bigger tires & new wheels, winch bumpers/tire carrier, quick disco's, superchips flash, and eventual ARB rear locker will still be under the cost of a new stock rubi. The only thing that will get me over the top cost wise vs a stock rubi is beefing up my D30 and IF I decide to add a front locker and wanted the 4:1 transfer case.

However, all those Rubi options & my build options can help with off-roading.....but a stock X, Sahara or Sport can get just as far as it really all comes down to driver skill and having a good spotter

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 03-01-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

another vote for the rubi,
Old 03-12-2011, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

I think it all depends on what up grades you plan on doing to it...... If your going to 35s or 37s your going to up grade gears and tires any ways rubi or not. As far as the rock rails if you want better looking ones those will go to. Well the way I look at it is I would like to up grade every thing to the way I want it with better parts than factory and I won't be paying intrest on a larger auto loan.My
Old 03-12-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

For me it was Rubi, because I could and to be honest I'm not someone to spend a bunch of $$ on aftermarket stuff.

Quick Reply: Buying guide help! Rubicon worth it?