Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

CA legal to drive without doors??

Old 03-01-2012, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA legal to drive without doors??

Hi jeepers,

Is it illegal to drive without our doors in Cali?? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:44 PM
JK Newbie

After a few hours looking around the internet myself. As long as you have two mirrors, the center and at least one outside mirror that allows you to see 300ft back your legal. As far as the actual doors, I'm pretty sure because they were made to be removed from the factory it is legal. I rarely have my doors on if it's above 60 out and I've never been pulled over for it. Once for speeding but he didn't mention anything about my lack of doors..
Old 03-01-2012, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is legal to drive without doors in California.

However, you are suppose to have a mirror on the driver's side. That being said, I don't have a side mirror with my doors off and have never been stopped because of the lack of the mirror. Maybe I've been lucky.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't they sell a kit for motorcycle style mirrors that just screw into a mount attached to your windshield hinge? Perfect for when the doors are off.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:16 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JMcD
Don't they sell a kit for motorcycle style mirrors that just screw into a mount attached to your windshield hinge? Perfect for when the doors are off.
There are dozens of ways to add a mirror or relocated the exiting. Search one of the bigger parts sites for mirrors (i.e. northridge, Qudratec, etc.) and you'll see a lot of options and price ranges out there.

You can also DIY, search for DIY mirror relocation and you'll see some ways to do it and save a few bucks.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just a heads up. If you get mirror relocation brackets from rugged ridge you can't see out of your passages mirror when your doors are on
Old 03-02-2012, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

On my 06 LJ I used an old VW Beetle mirror. It stuck right into the hinge and worked perfect.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for your feedbacks
Old 03-02-2012, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tonka_yellow
Just a heads up. If you get mirror relocation brackets from rugged ridge you can't see out of your passages mirror when your doors are on
I can see mine.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:08 AM
JK Newbie

Default Topless and Doorless In CALI.

What's up! It's been a minute posting here but this one stole my attention. Do not waste your hard earned "Just empty every pocket" money on relocation brackets and other style mirrors, I removed my 4 doors and fully removed my soft top...I'm so used to having side mirrors so I hit up my local Autozone to no joy for mirrors, however, I hit up O'reilys and there are "blind spot" mirrors that work very well and 3/4 the price of what you'll find on Quadratec or Morris4x4center...check it out, you'll also need a double threaded stud and some extra nuts n bolts n washers. I mounted my two mirrors on the top door hinge mount...I still think they are too low so I'm hitting up the local hardware store for some pipe to thread. Most stores like Lowe's or Home Depot will thread the inside or outside for you if you require it. Or a tap n dye set if your buddy has one.

Quick Reply: CA legal to drive without doors??