Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Can a stock Wrangler X go to Jeep Jamboree?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a stock Wrangler X go to Jeep Jamboree?

Hey everyone,

I'm relatively new here, and very new to the off roading scene (still haven't been - relax I've owned it less than a week) and was wondering about my stock X.

I asked here earlier about it's capabilities and generally around the horn I heard to get some new tires, recovery points, and maybe a lift, but this time my question is geared towards those who have attended jeep jamboree.

I'm wondering if a stock X (for this example, we'll even say stock tires) would be able to go to Jeep Jamboree and hold its own. I've read that there are "trail guides" that will kind of explain off roading (using 4-low effectively etc) and I thought that would be a great place to get a base understanding.

My wrangler is a bare bones, 3.21 gears, 6-speed, with 16" wheels and the stock tires.

While I've got your attention I'd also like to ask whether people prefer 16" or 17" wheels, ie whether it's worth it to spend the money to buy 17" wheels before I get my new tires, and also what are some good recovery points I can get that would be easy to install on a stock bumper (don't really want to buy a new bumper just yet).

Thanks,
Adam
Old 05-29-2009, 09:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not only can you go, you will be far from the only stock JK. They have varying levels of trails for all build types and will let you push your stock JK to its limits. You will be amazed at what a stock X can do, and even more amazed at what a few small modifications can change!!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
Not only can you go, you will be far from the only stock JK. They have varying levels of trails for all build types and will let you push your stock JK to its limits. You will be amazed at what a stock X can do, and even more amazed at what a few small modifications can change!!
Excellent!

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think the stock tires (P225/75R16 BSW On-/Off-Road Tires) that come with it will hold up alright though?
Old 05-29-2009, 09:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did some pretty gnarly wheeling on the slicks that us "x" owners got. If you air them down, they should see you through no problem.

New tires make a world of difference though.

Regarding the wheel size, the 16" will have more sidewall, making it harder to damage on the rocks and giving you more tire to grip when you air down. I got the 17" though, but only because the wheel I wanted only came in that size.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:10 PM
JK Super Freak

i think this video will answer your question if you would be ok in a stock JK....

(not mine):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL4E3ASTif4
Old 05-29-2009, 11:48 PM
JK Freak

The stock Jeeps are very capable. From what I have seen in the rocks in Arizona is that the tires will be your first week point. But if you do shred a tire, you still have a spare and it is a relatively cheap way to learn the capabilities of your Jeep. If you've never been wheeling at all, you'll be thoroughly impressed with what your stock X can do especially with some good driving/spotting.

Get out there and enjoy it.

If you're just trying to ease your way into it, slightly larger all terrains or muds and a very modest lift(2-2.5) will significantly increase the capabilities of your otherwise stock Jeep.

Have fun out there!
Old 05-30-2009, 03:36 AM
JK Jedi

Your stock X will do great! IIRC, you do need the recovery points (tow hooks) though (check the minimum requirements for your specific event). You can buy the stock tow hooks and just bolt them on your bumper (you will have to trim out the plastic openings though).
Old 05-30-2009, 05:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by teamonthree
... what are some good recovery points I can get that would be easy to install on a stock bumper (don't really want to buy a new bumper just yet).
I'm pretty sure you're going to need front and rear recovery points for a Jeep Jamboree. For the rear, get a hook or shackle that attaches to the rear hitch. Don't have a rear hitch? Might better get one of those, too. For the front, go for the optional Mopar hooks--you can install those yourself after cutting up your bumper a little bit. Where to find all of this? When folks on this forum replace their bumpers they often end up with this hardware left over--start right here on JK-Forum in the Wanted/For Sale/Freebie forums.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
X2 We went for years to Jeep jams and modded our Jeep little by little each year. If you were to mod anything the first year it would be a good idea to upgrade the tires a bit.

Each Jamboree was well worth the money...great family vacation. Generally good food and great trail help. They give away some great stuff on the last day too!

Doc
Old 05-30-2009, 01:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah. What everybody else said. Plenty of stock Jeeps everywhere cause they can actually DO stuff.

Quick Reply: Can a stock Wrangler X go to Jeep Jamboree?