Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Car Salesmen

Old 05-06-2008, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Salesmen

/rant mode on

In my search for a new JK I've visited a few dealerships in the past week.

It never ceases to amaze me what these sales folk try to get away with. I've been lied to, misinformed, UNinformed, told to inquire elsewhere, ignored, tried to sell stuff I didn't need in packs that don't exist, and all possible combinations of the aforementioned and then some !

People, please, I'm just trying to buy a car !

I'd possibly been too optimistic thinking that people selling such a specialized product would be better informed than your average euro box peddler, but for crissakes !

And then the manufacturers wonder why their industries is in a slump ! Unfortunately this says even more about people buying cars than it does about the mutts selling them.

/rant mode off

Peter R.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Peter, I feel your pain. The amount of mis-information and lack of detailed information from the two dealers I visited when purchacing my Jeep was somewhat concerning.

However, one thing to remember is we are obsessed buyers that have studied every detail concerning the vehicle and package we are interested in buying. The salesman however has many models and packages to keep straight. So in many cases, we know more specific information about the vehicle we are looking to purchase.

I did notice that as we started getting closer and closer to the final sale, the saleman would check on details if he didn't know. All in all, if you find a salesperson and a dealer you can work with, then the whole buying experience really isn't that bad.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:33 AM
JK Newbie

I won't make any excuses for car salesmen. They are sharks who think that everyone that walks in the showroom is a complete idiot. Unfortunately, 75% of the time they are.

There is absolutely no honesty in that business anymore. Even the "ethical" car dealers are unethical. They just make it less obvious.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:09 AM
JK Super Freak

One local salesman, at a very large Jeep dealership here in NJ, told me not to buy a Rubicon b/c they drive like shit. I promptly returned to my vehicle and left their lot ASAP. So much for being the largest Jeep Wrangler dealer in NJ

And you wonder why they can't sell anything!!
Old 05-06-2008, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Remember, jeep salesmen HATE selling jeeps...and by jeeps I mean JKs. They love selling the other pieces of crap on their lot like the new crossover whatever.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

Truth be told, I'm somewhat lacking in the social skills department.

So this is how I buy a car :

I do the research and figure out what I want. I just let the sales ape go through the motions to see if he knows what he's talking about. Then this ensues :

Me : I want that. How much
Them : Er...oohhh...well (start hitting the calculator)
Me : bugger off...just tell me what the damage is
Them : allright . X.
Me : OK. Wrap it.

So this time I'm taking a different approach. I'm talking to a few dealers. So now Id like to know :

How many times to I shuttle back and forth between those jojo's before I drop the credit card ? In essence, what are the signs I need to look for ?

Thanks

Peter R.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

How many times to I shuttle back and forth between those jojo's before I drop the credit card ? In essence, what are the signs I need to look for ?

Thanks

Peter R.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Peter R.;481964]Truth be told, I'm somewhat lacking in the social skills department.

So this is how I buy a car :

I do the research and figure out what I want. I just let the sales ape go through the motions to see if he knows what he's talking about. Then this ensues :

Me : I want that. How much
Them : Er...oohhh...well (start hitting the calculator)
Me : bugger off...just tell me what the damage is
Them : allright . X.
Me : OK. Wrap it.

So this time I'm taking a different approach. I'm talking to a few dealers. So now Id like to know :

This is why God or Al Gore created the internet. Do your research, build your Jeep on jeep.com or edmunds.com get the invoice price through edmunds.com then go to jktoolz.com (which also show invoice price) and see what dealer has your jeep. Then e-mail the internet fleet manager tell him you are looking and want his best price. If it is more than invoice move on. Every fleet Manager I have talked to will sell it at invoice right now. Bada bing bada boom Jeep is in your driveway.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Err, hombre, I live on the other side of that largish puddle on you doorstep, in a small country called Belgium, often mentioned in a tongue in cheek kinda way in HBO series.

Our dealers are generally unimpressed with US prices.

You do have a point however. Maybe I can scour some internet sites.

Peter R.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Peter R.
Err, hombre, I live on the other side of that largish puddle on you doorstep, in a small country called Belgium, often mentioned in a tongue in cheek kinda way in HBO series.

Our dealers are generally unimpressed with US prices.

You do have a point however. Maybe I can scour some internet sites.

Peter R.
Sorry, I totally didn't look a your address.

Love your waffles, by the way...

Sorry I had to do it
Old 05-06-2008, 11:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sully151
Sorry, I totally didn't look a your address.

Love your waffles, by the way...

Sorry I had to do it
Dont forget the Beer, awesome beer, heres one for you!

Quick Reply: Car Salesmen