Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Change antenna

Old 05-02-2012, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change antenna

I have a new antenna and the hardware dont match. How do I get old pieces off?
I have antenna itsel off now
Old 05-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are you looking to change? I deleted my antenna and installed a hidden antenna.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vin
what are you looking to change? I deleted my antenna and installed a hidden antenna.
What kind of setup did you get to do this? That's what I've been thinking of doing.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LabRat
What kind of setup did you get to do this? That's what I've been thinking of doing.
I first saw it on AntennaX, but it said I needed an adaptor for the OE radio. I searched for it and came up with the Metra 40-EU20 VW /BMW/European Antenna Adapter Into OEM Radio. I ordered that along with a Metra amplified hidden antenna and a Mopar trail rated badge to cover up the hole left by the removed antenna. I removed the antenna (give the antenna a good tug to get to the connector so you don't need to cut the wire. I undid the center console, removed the radio, unplugged the antena connection from the radio and installed the adaptor. Now there is still a section of antenna cable still there so I tucked it out of the way. Then I ran the hidden antenna through the dash up the a pillar to the sports bar and finally mounted it under the plastic section where the dome light is. I connected the Hidden antenna to the adaptor and spliced into the right power port (constant) hot wire (just because I was on that side of the Jeep. you can use the left (ignition) side if you want), put everything back. I wipped down the exterior hole where the antenna was and applied the Trail Rated Badge.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry I don't mean to steal this thread but Y do some people have those huge antennas in the back? they look cool
Old 05-03-2012, 03:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cb antenna in rear
Old 05-03-2012, 03:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TrainerJuice
Sorry I don't mean to steal this thread but Y do some people have those huge antennas in the back? they look cool
That would be a CB antenna, good for trails w/ your comrades.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hskr4x4
Cb antenna in rear
ooops, sorry bro you beat me to it...
Old 05-03-2012, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vin

I first saw it on AntennaX, but it said I needed an adaptor for the OE radio. I searched for it and came up with the Metra 40-EU20 VW /BMW/European Antenna Adapter Into OEM Radio. I ordered that along with a Metra amplified hidden antenna and a Mopar trail rated badge to cover up the hole left by the removed antenna. I removed the antenna (give the antenna a good tug to get to the connector so you don't need to cut the wire. I undid the center console, removed the radio, unplugged the antena connection from the radio and installed the adaptor. Now there is still a section of antenna cable still there so I tucked it out of the way. Then I ran the hidden antenna through the dash up the a pillar to the sports bar and finally mounted it under the plastic section where the dome light is. I connected the Hidden antenna to the adaptor and spliced into the right power port (constant) hot wire (just because I was on that side of the Jeep. you can use the left (ignition) side if you want), put everything back. I wipped down the exterior hole where the antenna was and applied the Trail Rated Badge.
Great thanks for the information! This is something I've been meaning to do. Sorry to hijack the thread. Bump for the OP.

Quick Reply: Change antenna