Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Changing Brake Fluid question

Old 12-04-2014, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Brake Fluid question

Owner's Manual is silent to doing this, but I'm discovering that it should be done every 2-3 years. Two years per Pat Goss of MotorWeek and 3 years according to How it works.

Changing brake fluids periodically has never been on my radar screen over all my years of vehicle ownerships.

I found that my fluid is a bit low. So I'm getting it done....also since I've had it in water several times....if that has any impact.

Anyone else change brake fluid periodically?
Old 12-04-2014, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Low fluid can also be a sign of excessive pad wear, so check that the brake pads still have service life.

Lots of other cars I've owned recommend every 2 years as part of the regular service schedule. That may depend on fluid type and its properties, but it seems like changing it anyway after a few years would be good maintenance.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:38 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Can't hurt if properly done, but I've been doing it only when bleeding brakes becomes necessary due to other maintenance.

The system is sealed, the reservoir of the master cylinder is not vented to atmosphere, and the fluid level is checked without ever removing the cover. It's about as sealed as a can of brake fluid is.

One of my trucks has been in the family for 28 years -- 2 bleeds/flushes with new fluid during the course of 28 years (new rear wheel cylinders and a new master cylinder).

Last edited by Mr.T; 12-04-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:45 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good rule of thumb for brake and tranny fluid...If it ain't broke don't screw with it. Different story for industrial equipment or machinery running near 24/7.
Notice that you quoted 2 experts that gave 2 different periods. Then a few forum members with a few more periods.
If it ain't b.....

Quick Reply: Changing Brake Fluid question