Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Choice between different philosophies - sahara vs rubicon

Old 08-03-2014, 02:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choice between different philosophies - sahara vs rubicon

Yeah I know, the subject has been discussed for long across the forum... But I really don't get the solution.

Could you help me?

This are my driving expectations/characteristics:

Unlimited is the choice in any case, I've a Husky, a wife and maybe in a next future a son/daughter
Wrangler could be my daily commuter
The rig will remain stock. In Italy, where I live, any mod is forbidden and if you modify any car you drive at your own risk, with heavy consequences in case of car crash (with assurance coverage too...)
No rock crawling
Moderate off road: I will follow rocky roads and I' m not going to find the path through the woods or similar
Yes snow/ice conditions, I live near the Alps and I spend there many week ends
Hard top because of the wet and snowy climate (in Italy, Sahara has hard top as standard, rubicon as expensive option)
In europe fuel is much more expensive than in US (sahara has a different final gear ratio)

Thanks so much for your replies!

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods...
Old 08-03-2014, 02:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I expect you will never need the capabilities that the Rubican brings compared to the Sahara or sport. I went with the sport unlimited. I had no need for the minor increase in luxury the Sahara has. I've now had my 2012 JKU sport for 2.5 yrs and 47,000 miles. Not one moment have I regretted not getting the Rubican. My sport takes me anywhere I need to go. Through flooding after superstorm sandy. Through the many snowstorms we've had in New Jersey this past winter.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Short summary:

All Jeep Wranglers are very competent on snow, ice, muddy dirt roads (but not bogs), gravely/sandy/rock covered dirt roads (not to be confused with sand dunes or rock crawling), etc. In those "nots" mentioned, capability is there but more limited the cheaper the model. All really benefit from some mods to excel at those things, however.

X/Sport--Basic model. Not all features can be had on this model (such as lockers these days). Most luxury options can be, however.

Sahara--If there is a luxury Jeep Wrangler, this is it. May come with features you'd rather not power everything, etc. Still a very capable off-road vehicle (see above).

Rubi--Built for rock crawlers, but occasionally bought by status seekers who "always buy the best". May also be equipped with features you'd rather not buy. The most capable Jeep ever built. While the improvements benefit rock crawling, some are a mixed bag--lockers good for overland travel, transfer case not so good due to low gearing. Sway bay e-disco? Meh. Five minutes to disconnect in other models while your tire pressure is bleeding. I mention overland travel because I think that comes closest to your intended use.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Short summary:

All Jeep Wranglers are very competent on snow, ice, muddy dirt roads (but not bogs), gravely/sandy/rock covered dirt roads (not to be confused with sand dunes or rock crawling), etc. In those "nots" mentioned, capability is there but more limited the cheaper the model. All really benefit from some mods to excel at those things, however.

X/Sport--Basic model. Not all features can be had on this model (such as lockers these days). Most luxury options can be, however.

Sahara--If there is a luxury Jeep Wrangler, this is it. May come with features you'd rather not power everything, etc. Still a very capable off-road vehicle (see above).

Rubi--Built for rock crawlers, but occasionally bought by status seekers who "always buy the best". May also be equipped with features you'd rather not buy. The most capable Jeep ever built. While the improvements benefit rock crawling, some are a mixed bag--lockers good for overland travel, transfer case not so good due to low gearing. Sway bay e-disco? Meh. Five minutes to disconnect in other models while your tire pressure is bleeding. I mention overland travel because I think that comes closest to your intended use.
x2

While I have and love my Rubicon, most of my offroading trips these days are overland related (not rock-crawling as in my younger years). I'd love a 3rd gear choice in that t-case. Something around the 2.72 range for sand and the in-between terrain that 4:1 is too low to do well with any speed.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 'Rubi vs ___' is a never ending discussion...
"Rubi--Built for rock crawlers, but occasionally bought by status seekers who "always buy the best"."
I had moved from a Sport to a Rubi 2.5 years ago.
If status was what I looked for, I'd have driven one of the top Audi or BMW models, for instance.

The Rubi is a DD, and my offroading ranges from 'overlanding' to serious obstacles.
Extreme rock climbing isn't my cup of tea, yet the lockers have been very helpful many times, and so has been the 4.1 gear ratio -- on what was expected to be an easy trail.
Once off the road, the unexpected should be expected. Difficult obstacles appear on easy trails, because winter rains caused a rock to roll down, or water deeply slotted the trail, or a deep thick mud pit appeared on it, or part of the trail collapsed, not to mention a fallen tree.
On such instances, the Rubi lockers have been very useful on easy trails. So was the 4.1 ratio.

Sometimes the lockers or gear ratio are used for just a few yards, but for those yards they make the difference.
The Rubi is definitely not only for "rock crawlers" or "status seekers".
"While I have and love my Rubicon, most of my offroading trips these days are overland related (not rock-crawling as in my younger years). I'd love a 3rd gear choice in that t-case. Something around the 2.72 range for sand and the in-between terrain that 4:1 is too low to do well with any speed."
The Rubi 4.1 had never been a limiting factor for me. The lower ration on the Sport sometimes wasn't low enough.

Last edited by GJeep; 08-04-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by GJeep
... The Rubi 4.1 had never been a limiting factor for me. The lower ration on the Sport sometimes wasn't low enough.
I should add that most of the folks with whom I overland do have Rubi's. But, I would definitely disagree that the Rubi transfer case is better for that purpose. And I have plenty of experience doing so in all kinds of terrain all over the U.S. My friends may disagree with me, but I've never found the X transfer case to be a limiting factor, to include back when I was rock crawling all over Disney, OK and Moab, UT. But, I drive a standard, so using the clutch to control torque comes naturally to me. Perhaps if I had the automatic that you do I'd feel differently. But, to be honest, I'd sell that Jeep and buy one with a six speed. Been driving for nearly 50 years all manuals, and I have no intention of changing.

LOL: That is not me; that is my youngest son driving.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by GJeep
The 'Rubi vs ___' is a never ending discussion...

"Rubi--Built for rock crawlers, but occasionally bought by status seekers who "always buy the best"."

I had moved from a Sport to a Rubi 2.5 years ago.
If status was what I looked for, I'd have driven one of the top Audi or BMW models, for instance ...
BTW--The status seekers remark was meant for exactly that. People who don't go off road at all. That's fine; it's their money and their business. You absolutely should not have taken it personally. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW--The status seekers remark was meant for exactly that. People who don't go off road at all. That's fine; it's their money and their business. You absolutely should not have taken it personally. Sorry for the confusion.
I am off-road typically twice a week, but not much rock crawling to do in Florida, although I do hope to get somewhere sometime to do some.

That said, I bought a Rubicon X so I would not have to modify the vehicle to have top tier capability. I have been mod'ing performance cars for years, and I am over it and the headaches it brings. The Rubicon X, needs zero modification to be extremely capable. I don't have the experience you do, but lets not blanket all Rubicon buyers in the two single groups.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	10342770_253788604829882_2146650394139040318_n.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	569416   Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment.aspx.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	569418   Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment.aspsx.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	569419  

Last edited by syn-ack; 08-04-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I should add that most of the folks with whom I overland do have Rubi's. But, I would definitely disagree that the Rubi transfer case is better for that purpose. And I have plenty of experience doing so in all kinds of terrain all over the U.S. My friends may disagree with me, but I've never found the X transfer case to be a limiting factor, to include back when I was rock crawling all over Disney, OK and Moab, UT. But, I drive a standard, so using the clutch to control torque comes naturally to me. Perhaps if I had the automatic that you do I'd feel differently. But, to be honest, I'd sell that Jeep and buy one with a six speed. Been driving for nearly 50 years all manuals, and I have no intention of changing.
Well, my experience is that the lower 4.1 ratio allows real slow crawling while maintaining enough power.
It also gives more power for a steep slope, with no need for higher r.p.m. .
This goes for both manual & auto, and allows less use of the clutch in manual.
...the never ending debate of manual vs auto...
However, my 4.1 drives 35"s. Many Jeepers prefer 4.56 for such wheels.

Last edited by GJeep; 08-04-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:10 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by syn-ack

I am off-road typically twice a week, but not much rock crawling to do in Florida, although I do hope to get somewhere sometime to do some.

That said, I bought a Rubicon X so I would not have to modify the vehicle to have top tier capability. I have been mod'ing performance cars for years, and I am over it and the headaches it brings. The Rubicon X, needs zero modification to be extremely capable. I don't have the experience you do, but lets not blanket all Rubicon buyers in the two single groups.
Agreed. I think, however, that if the Rubi engineers had overlanders in mind they'd have done a few different things. Certainly more electricity at more places. Dual-battery option. Larger alternator. Storage cubby would be gone since it's virtually inaccessible when loaded for trips. Better to have more gas. Better rear storage options--perhaps even an optional drawer setup and maybe even a fridge and slide. Rear area work lights. That's what my rock crawler remark was meant to highlight.

Quick Reply: Choice between different philosophies - sahara vs rubicon