Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cold weather care tips

Old 08-07-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold weather care tips

Moving from Florida to NY. Need info on how to take care of my jk in below freezing temps. I got a hard top for a reason!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Make sure your anti-freeze is fresh and that your windshield wiper fluid is rated for 32° F & below (not dishwashing liquid & water like you tropical folks like to do). Use the proper viscosity oil. Make sure your tires have good tread on them. Get a decent long handled scraper/snow brush. Slush mats are inavaluable, I recommend Husky brand. Before it gets too cold, a good coat of wax wouldn't hurt, neither would undercoating the chassis (they use salt in NY). Remember, tire pressure drops along with the temperature. I also like to keep an extra pair of gloves & hat, water resistant jacket, and a shovel on hand. A set of jumper cables might be nice to have. Those are a few that come to mind.

BTW, I live in CO, but lived in Chicago, IL prior to.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Incognito
Make sure your anti-freeze is fresh and that your windshield wiper fluid is rated for 32° F & below (not dishwashing liquid & water like you tropical folks like to do). Use the proper viscosity oil. Make sure your tires have good tread on them. Get a decent long handled scraper/snow brush. Slush mats are inavaluable, I recommend Husky brand. Before it gets too cold, a good coat of wax wouldn't hurt, neither would undercoating the chassis (they use salt in NY). Remember, tire pressure drops along with the temperature. I also like to keep an extra pair of gloves & hat, water resistant jacket, and a shovel on hand. A set of jumper cables might be nice to have. Those are a few that come to mind.

Thanks man. I appreciate the help
Old 08-08-2011, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Incognito

The only thing I do is the oil, wiper fluid, and scrappers. We get COLD here, -30's. I haven't had an issue. Although I would make sure your battery is good too. It might seem fine in the summer, but that cold can suck the juice right out of it
Old 08-08-2011, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

Snow driving tips? Never seen the white stuff
Old 08-08-2011, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Where in NY are you moving to?
First, never let your gas tank get below a quarter, ever. You'll regret it when a random snowstorm that is supposed to dump 2" ends up dumping 2 feet on you.
Second, get the rain-x orange colored wiper fluid, that blue crap doesn't cut it in the cold. Half the time it freezes as soon as it hits your windshield.
Third, when it starts to get cold and snows, go easy on the skinny pedal. Steady and light is going to keep you on the road.
Fourth, four wheel drive will help when it gets real nasty, but it won't save you when you start to slide on ice. When it gets warm and the temperature drops at night be careful and watch out for black ice.
You will probably think it’s always cold in the winter, but 32 is pretty warm in my book. When it gets more towards 10 degrees is when you’ll start to feel it. There will be days where it’s 60-65 during the day and then once night hits it drops down to well below freezing and ice forms on everything that is wet.
If you’re going down a hill that is pretty slippery/covered in slush, don’t touch the brakes. Or at least don’t spike them to slow down, you’ll go right into the ditch. Seen it happen way too many times, and I laugh every time I do.

Hope this helps
-Zach

Last edited by grim_creation; 08-08-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling/gramar
Old 08-08-2011, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure what size tires you are running, but my thicker tires glide real well on snow packed roads. Now, if you like the slide around the corner you have nothing to worry about. But, seeing as this will be a first time thing to you, I'd recommend some thinner tires if you are worried about it. Snows pretty forgiving if you just go slow. People forget that 4wheel drive doesn't mean you can go 45mph through unplowed roads. Slow and steady and you will not have an issue.

Maybe after the first good snowfall, go out for a drive when it's a little later (less traffic) and just get the feel for it, even in a parking lot or something) Watch out for slush, that stuff will suck you in whatever direction it wants. You will be fine. It's not as bad as some make it out to be. I love some good Jeepin in the snow!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

I live in ny and its not that bad take it slow do the above things but at first try things out in a large empty parking lot to get a feel of it jk I drive with a kit so if something happensto me I will ne time ... washer fluid snow brush hat gloves boots and a blanket jumper cables some salt a shovel ... good to have one with a stick Händel because so can build up Anderson the jeep and lift it and u can shovel all around and what not but its lifted up form the packed snow ... its easier to push a Händel through the the shovel head to clear the snow under it get good all season mats or rhino line the inside let it car warm up before u drive paint ad much as u can under the car to keep it from getting rusty with the salt wash it jk often avoid puddles cuz the hold salt break a long way back so u don't crash into any ones rear cars stop at lifts and salt water drips off there car so it can be real icy at intersections so take it slow don't try to blow through the yellow light if u get stuck don't smash the gas rock the car go as far forward or reverse as possible then let it roll back and give it gas again u can also go as far forward press the break and stop put it in reverse and give it gas go back as far as possible and repeat u can also put things under your jks tires iv use wood post that hold trees up straight once if u get to stuck don't smash the gas call for help ...some people will even stop and help u when u give it to much gas u will melt the snow and u could make ice. Under the tires drive in four wheel drive when needed not all the time don't speed in snow because u have four wheel drive u can't stop on a dime in the snow if u don't have abs pump it breaks as fast as possible if u slid on a turn u could do two things don't give gas or smash the gas counter steer and drif that shit ha I hope all this help remember go slow get there alive
Old 08-08-2011, 08:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Also watch for slush in the middle of the road its beat not to pass people stay in there tire marks or fresh snow but if u pass some one the slush with push and pull u a bit just look out for that and say a few car length back from other cars cuz they might slam on there breaks and u don't wanna.slid into them
Old 08-08-2011, 10:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by grim_creation
Where in NY are you moving to?
First, never let your gas tank get below a quarter, ever. You'll regret it when a random snowstorm that is supposed to dump 2" ends up dumping 2 feet on you.
Second, get the rain-x orange colored wiper fluid, that blue crap doesn't cut it in the cold. Half the time it freezes as soon as it hits your windshield.
Third, when it starts to get cold and snows, go easy on the skinny pedal. Steady and light is going to keep you on the road.
Fourth, four wheel drive will help when it gets real nasty, but it won't save you when you start to slide on ice. When it gets warm and the temperature drops at night be careful and watch out for black ice.
You will probably think it's always cold in the winter, but 32 is pretty warm in my book. When it gets more towards 10 degrees is when you'll start to feel it. There will be days where it's 60-65 during the day and then once night hits it drops down to well below freezing and ice forms on everything that is wet.
If you're going down a hill that is pretty slippery/covered in slush, don't touch the brakes. Or at least don't spike them to slow down, you'll go right into the ditch. Seen it happen way too many times, and I laugh every time I do.

Hope this helps
-Zach
I'll be up in Nyack going to college on a baseball scholarship. Thanks for all the info man! Anything under 60 is freezing to me...hoodie or two weather.

Quick Reply: Cold weather care tips