Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Consider this...

Old 09-02-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consider this...

Whole lotta complaining going on here on these boards about the JK sucking, not being a good enough offroader, Chrysler sucking, Chrysler quality sucking, Chrysler not knowing what the Jeep customer wants

So I figured, for North America at least, let's round up what off-roading vehicles are currently being manufactured by Chrysler, followed by other OEM's...

Chrysler - the Jeep JK, Gran Cherokee, Liberty, trail-rated Compass, and on the Dodge side, the new 2012 Ram Power Wagon (repleat with Warn winch, offroad tires and electronic sway bar discos)

Toyota - FJ cruiser, Tacoma TRD package

Nissan - Xterra

GM - used to be Hummer, but now, nothing.

Ford - zippo

Honda - nada

Hyundai/Kai - LOL. nope.

Porcshe - no, Cayenne doesn't count

Audi - no

VW - again no

Mercedes - some will agrue the G-wagon but I say no

I might have missed a few, and feel free to complete my list, but my point is before you bite the hand that feeds you and bitch up a storm about how lousy Chrysler is about supporting or building our Jeeps, bear in mind they have an entire Brand dedicated to off-roading, an actual evaulation to class their vehicles "trail rated", an expensive but good aftermarket department in Mopar that offers everything from bumpers to lift kits, and engineers who actually drive the Jeeps they design.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just a sidenote, I was told by a Nissan engineer that the Xterra may be dropped from the lineup within the next 2 years....
Old 09-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree that the jeep jk is in a class of it's own. It is a very capable and upgradeable vehicle. You can take the top and doors off and with the huge aftermarket you can really make it your own. When I think off off road vehicle I think of jeep. It is an american tradition that I hope is always with us. There is a feeling of freedom when driving a jeep that few if any other vehicles can match. However I feel that chrysler does need to work on it's quality. All vehicles will have issues. I have a friend who is a service manager at a high end european dealer and he us always talking about how overpriced and unreliable some of them are. Land rover and mercedes are two of them. I personally am pissed my 3.8 consumes oil and pings alot and am hoping my dealer will make it right, but that doesn't mean I will abandon jeep. To all the whiners talking about fj's, g-wagons, land rovers etc. being so much better etc. Sell your jeep and find a new forum
Old 09-02-2011, 08:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by baconrocket
Just a sidenote, I was told by a Nissan engineer that the Xterra may be dropped from the lineup within the next 2 years....
For real?? Jeez it's a good offroader too. See how OEM's drop offroaders like hot potatoes. Chrysler is the only car-maker that holds onto the culture. We should count our blessings.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea, the only thing even remotely close is the FJC, but in the end it's just a Prado/4runner/Tacoma/Hilux with a funky body bolted on top (i.e. an impractical form over function tonka toy on the foundation of more practical vehicles that were build more with the road in mind than the rough stuff.)

Supposedly the Defender is comming back in the next few years, but the best guess right now is that it will be independent suspension and look like a Ford Expedition/LR Freelander abortion:

h tt p://www.luanpa.net/2012-land-rover-defender/
So yea, Wrangler has this market... but no competion makes for poor performance and no real improvement.

Last edited by Moochie; 09-02-2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Please, no clickable links to non sponsors.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, Ford and GM could pull off a competitor if they came out with a Bronco or a Blazer that was SFA and a short wheel base. Would take abit of R&D but I think they would sell.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
For real?? Jeez it's a good offroader too. See how OEM's drop offroaders like hot potatoes. Chrysler is the only car-maker that holds onto the culture. We should count our blessings.
Yeah, It's pretty likely. Between low sales and fuel mileage regs coming up it just isn't working out for them. From what he said it isn't in stone, but likely.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my input -

Chrysler - the Jeep JK, Grand Cherokee, Liberty, trail-rated Compass, and on the Dodge side, the new 2012 Ram Power Wagon (repleat with Warn winch, offroad tires and electronic sway bar discos and dual lockers!)

Toyota - FJ cruiser, Tacoma TRD package - (4-RUNNER - body on frame contruction and a locker) ( I guess the Tundra doesn't count becuase it's a full size, even with a rear locker)

Nissan - Xterra (Pathfinder)

GM - Canyon truck line with offroad package?

Ford - If you include the compass, why not the explorer?

Honda, Hyundai/Kai, Porcshe, Audi, VW - all no

Mercedes - some will agrue the G-wagon at 100K? - NO WAY

I agree that Chrysler leads the pack, but the Liberty and Compass are fake 4wd's, which if included would need us to also include Hilanders and the Ford Edge, plus other weak "off-road" options.

The Jeep Brand is the most capable across the entire product line (similar to Range Rover which wasn't listed). I have owned 6 Jeeps and currently own 2. There really isn't a true alternative.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:02 AM
JK Freak

not to get offtopic but people also complain about peoples "spelling and grammar" on the forum, like who cares, this aint english class
Old 09-02-2011, 09:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the Wrangler were a crappy design that nobody wanted, then no one would care if the quality sux or if the engine comes from a mini-van.

Thing is, Wrangler is a GREAT design - so we care a LOT about how well it is or isn't built. The complaining comes from how much passion we have for the vehicle.

Meanwhile, Chrysler just goes along building them as bad as they can get away with, knowing that people will still buy Wranglers. This is not a real good situation, but its what we are stuck with.

Quick Reply: Consider this...