Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Considering a new JK, need advice...

Old 06-30-2012, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Considering a new JK, need advice...

I'm considering selling my 04 X for a new 2013 Sport and need some advice. There is an option to choose a 3.73 axle ratio over the standard 3.21 ratio for an additional $95.00, I feel this is worth the money, any a thoughts?

Second is the the anti-spin rear axle option for an additional $295.00. This seems a bit steep but is it worth getting it from the factory?

The other options I'm considering are the S Package, the hard top (because I'm considering the BesTop Trek NX as my soft top option), the Connectivity Group (for the hands free phone use while driving), and Convience Group (mainly for the power locks because i'm lazy and won't have to walk around to unlock the door for my wife). Any other must have options?
Old 06-30-2012, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

When I bought my '12 the ONLY option I got were the 3.73 gears. Obviously I think they're worth it.
I'd pass on the trak-lock (wait- I actually did pass on it). I had one on my TJ and wasn't all that impressed. If you want a LS I'd get an aftermarket one like the true-trac or even better, a selectable locker.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

My '12 JK has 3.21's and they are great for the 99% on-road driving I do. The dealer I got it from always gets 3.73's but this one was a swap from somewhere else. The 3.73 is basically a 'free' option in the Tow pkg if I remember right. The 'Max Tow' pkg has more in it and costs $$. Don't quote me on these facts but I'm almost certain that's the case.

I have the S pkg and it's well worth it. On a '12 it gets you 17" aluminum wheels, power windows, and a bunch of other stuff. I have the connectivity group too and is good for the ipod and stuff. My phone doesn't have bluetooth but the conn group has that feature too, along with voice control (but I can't seem to say anything it understands). The steering wheel buttons are handy too. I didn't have a need for the nav system or any of that uber- convienient stuff. I don't use GPS, I still use MAP. You probably won't find many without at least the S pkg.

Bottom line. Study the options and packages and know them better than the dealer. If it's not a Jeep-savy dealer you can pretty much dictate to them what you want. You can (and should) get the 3.73's for free. And if your going to bigger tires you need them. Good luck!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would certainly opt for the 3.73s for $95. I know guys who are running 37" Nittos on 4.10 in the new '12s.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ptarnuzzer
I'm considering selling my 04 X for a new 2013 Sport and need some advice. There is an option to choose a 3.73 axle ratio over the standard 3.21 ratio for an additional $95.00, I feel this is worth the money, any a thoughts?

Second is the the anti-spin rear axle option for an additional $295.00. This seems a bit steep but is it worth getting it from the factory?

The other options I'm considering are the S Package, the hard top (because I'm considering the BesTop Trek NX as my soft top option), the Connectivity Group (for the hands free phone use while driving), and Convience Group (mainly for the power locks because i'm lazy and won't have to walk around to unlock the door for my wife). Any other must have options?
The 3.73 axle ratio is definitely worth it. I held out for one. Right now the stock of Jeeps available to my dealership and their network was full of 3.21. For the 4 door, there were none for Sport or Sport S. The dealer found a few in West Virginia, Kentucky, and Michigan. I wanted the same thing, the convenience group and connectivity. When it boiled down to it, we worked out a deal and I actually ended up getting the Sahara. I initially was very against the Sahara because I didn't want to pay for the extras, but it ended up being a good package deal for what I wanted. I think mine came with the anti spin rear axle, and I wanted a hard top to try it out and maybe get a Trektop NX for a soft top as mentioned above too.

As of right now, dealers around here are trying to get rid of their 2012's because 2013's will be coming out in a few months. I really urge you to wait and get what you want or go to another dealer. I have a good relationship with my dealer and a good understanding, so he didn't even try to sell me anything with 3.21's. He even didn't try to sell me the Sahara until I asked him to see if we could make it work. There are 3.73's out there, hopefully more available in your region and dealership than mine.

Btw, if you want to upgrade gears in the future, 3.21's in the 2012 have a different carrier and you would have to replace that too. 3.73's share the same carrier with 4.1 and higher I think.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you! I appreciate the opinions! I think ordering a 2013 is the only way I'll get exactly what I want this late in the model year, besides, the 2013's will be available in True Blue and I really like that color!

I considered the Sahara, but I really don't want the painted fenders, I feel they would be a real target for doors and shopping carts, and the dings would drive me nuts!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

i wish i got the rubi oim new to jeeps and apparently dana 30s bend with lift big tires and heavy off road use without sleeves and gussets, so by being cheap and getting a sport s i will probably end up spending more money to make it as useful as a rubi
Old 06-30-2012, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

For what we will be using it for, I can't justify the added expense of a Rubicon! I think the Sport will fit our needs...

Don't get me wrong, if money was not an option, I'd definitely be looking at the Rubicon, I think they are awesome!
Old 06-30-2012, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

i would hold out and get what you want. definitely would recommend the 3.73, connectivity group, and s-package (unless you go with the sahara which is what i did. the wife wanted leather seats... i can't complain, really liking them).

i'm new to the JK world and it's my first jeep that actually has power windows/locks (my TJ was power-nothing and i almost miss it)... i'm loving the door lock/unlock on the key. the little things i guess.

i went with the connectivity group and it's awesome. just keep bluetooth on your phone, sync it once and you're good to go. also got the 430N which i'd recommended if you're a music junky. i had a couple thousand songs on a jump drive, plugged it in and now all that music is stored/organized right there. thought about going with an aftermarket but they have so much crap i'd never use. the 430N has what you need and nothing you don't. not having to mount my phone to the windshield for a gps has been nice too.

for not having any of those conveniences in the past, i'm loving them now. good luck and enjoy the process!
Old 06-30-2012, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep, I believe ordering is the way to go at this point. Did you get the hard top? how difficult is it to get on and off? I'm considering getting one of the hoists they sell at Quadratec and just store it in the garage in the summer.

Quick Reply: Considering a new JK, need advice...