Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is Cooper America's most trusted 4x4 tyre?

Old 06-16-2008, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Cooper America's most trusted 4x4 tyre?

Cooper America's most trusted 4x4 tyre is written on most of the Australian Cooper tyre adds and its on their Australian web site. To me this seem odd because I have been reading a few different American 4x4 magazines( 4Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Magazine, Four Wheeler and Petersen's 4Wheel & Off-Road) for at least 5 years now and I would have been lucky to only see 3 pics of 4x4s fitted with Coopers tyres. A large majority of the 4x4s in these magizines run Super Swampers and then the rest run BFGs, ProComps, Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepek, Good Year, Toyo and Nitto tyres. All of these magazines have zero adds for Cooper tyres most of the other tyres have some advertising. All the huge tyre stores that advertise in these magazines don't list Cooper tyres but stock Super Swampers,BFGs, ProComps, Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepek, Good Year, Toyo and Nitto tyres.
So it seems to me that Coopers is America's least trusted 4x4 tyre.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never heard a bad thing about a cooper tire, Im pretty sure Pro-Comp tires ARE cooper tires....

Personally I run BFG's and like them, but there are a lot of good tires out there.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:47 PM
JK Junkie

Hmmmm, I have had Super Swampers,BFGs, Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepek, Good Year and Nitto tyres, but never Cooper.... Dont ever hear of them here either.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

I would have to say BFG holds that honor with Super Swamper a close second...But even Good years and others are more popular
Old 06-16-2008, 03:20 PM
JK Freak

Well maybe it is a marketing play...considering Cooper is the OEM for a lot of brands out there ie procomp, definity, other house brands... they might be able to say as a whole they make the most sales?
Old 06-16-2008, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just stick with BFG. But choice of tires is a very personal one.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Cooper makes more brands than you might think...I could be wrong, but I believe Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepek, Procomp, Definity, Mastercraft, Avon, Starfire, Dean, Kenda, Oliver, Wild Country, Cooper (of course), hell I'm sure there are others but I can't think of em right now.

This is not to say that I agree that Cooper is America's most trusted 4x4 tire.....I would have to go with BFG on that one also.

Last edited by JK-KJ; 06-16-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eisenjj
Pretty much the same deal over here with Foster's Beer eh?
You got that right - no one here drinks Foster's, funnily enough our favourite beer in South Aust is:

Coopers!!

Old 06-17-2008, 03:33 AM
JK Newbie

Default Coopers are pretty good

Quite a few Australian 4x4 magazines and outback tourers recommend Coopers. When you are hundreds of kms (miles) away from help in the outback you cant afford punctures or tyre damage. Many tour companies in the Outback use them. Check out Australian 4x4 Action.
I love BFGs, but considering Coopers
Old 06-17-2008, 03:56 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Cooper Discoverer STT's. I have had other models of them in the past, but this is my first time running STT's. My families farm is notorious for causing flats from thornapples, rusty nails, glass, fence wire, old horseshoes(pulled one out of the Ford's rrear rim a year or two ago) & God knows what all else.... there is just a ton of junk that gravitates towards tires. I have been there a lot, and not one flat yet. Not saying it wont happen, or that other tires wouldnt fare as well, just that so far, so good!

Had Firestones on my truck. I had them dismounted to plug them so bloody much that they looked like porcupines (My brother in law called them Porcuplugs)
I was considering replacing the beads with velcro or zippers. ~ Firestones suck. weak sidewalls and puncture prone in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Is Cooper America's most trusted 4x4 tyre?