Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cost to do a MOAB run?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost to do a MOAB run?

Seriously considering doing a MOAB run before the summers over, the cost is really my only limiting factor.

For those who have gone how much did running MOAB cost including replacement parts (if needed), fuel, and lodging?

I would be most likely camping to save some money and enjoy the dessert but most campgrounds still run ~$10 a night here in Oregon, unsure of the cost in UT

I've estimated my total round trip miles to 2324 with my sad av mpg I'll net ~180 gallons of gas meaning ~$500 for fuel....how accurate is this number?

Any input/suggestions would be appreciated
Old 06-28-2010, 02:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Well, this is rather tough to answer because to a certain extent you can effect your expenses by the choices you make. For camping, I've always stayed at the KOA in Moab. Tents run in the 25-35 range. You can camp at nearby Sand Flats Recreation area (dry camping) for about $10/night, plus the $5 day use fee (I think; maybe they only charge the camping fee if you spend the night). This is also where Fins and Things trail is located--a really fun ride in your Jeep. But, all of Moab is surrounded by BLM land. I think that much of that land is open to free range camping--just find a spot and set up your camp. But, that may place you a long ways from town--and you better be prepared for the rigors of dry camping. Here's info on managed BLM campsites (IOW, you'll pay to camp):

hxxp://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/campgrounds.html

Another option that I'd highly recommend is to take a run on White Rim Trail in Canyonlands National Park. You can easily turn this into a two, or even three, night activity. The views are absolutely incredible, though the trail isn't particularly tough (some breathtaking drop-offs, but that's about it). And, a permit can be secured for up to seven nights for three vehicles for $30. You should run this trail with a partner, so split that up and it's only $5/night to camp (plus you'll each need to pay for park admission unless you have a pass--$10). But, once you're on WRT you're not going to be taking other runs until you come off it. It's a 100 mile trail.

Gasoline: Figure a tank of gas each day. Again, it depends on how many trails you run and where they are (Elephant Hill is a good 70-80 miles away one way, then there's all of that trail running. WRT you really need to carry extra gas for safety sake--just in case the trail is blocked and you must turn around to exit the park).

Repair costs: Well, that depends on what breaks. If you're on WRT and can't get out without a tow, expect to pay a grand just for that. And, as another thread highlights, folks in Moab sometimes step up and help you generously--right now there is a run going on and one of the participants broke his front track bar. A local shop gave him a free stock one to get him back onto the trail.

Food: Moab has some really great restaurants. Sure, you can cook in camp, but you'll probably want to take advantage at least a time or two of that. And, they also sell some microbrewed beers (though I never did find one suitable to my taste buds, despite my best effort!).

Bottom line: I've been to Moab five times in the past couple years. The last time I went was Apr/May 2010. I went with a buddy and we split the costs. I'd estimate it ran me about $500-600, but we ate out quite a bit. We spent five days there, plus a night on the road there and back. We stayed at the KOA in a six person Kamping Kabin, which we split with our running partners (four-way split).

Hope that you find the previous info useful.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 06-28-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have gone twice in the last 10 months. It is about the same distance from Iowa. I was sporting the bill for two people since I took my better half. The first time we camped, the second time she said no way to camping.

The first time I pulled a pop up. I paid $30 for camping spot. What I lost in mileage pulling a pop up all that way I could of afforded a hotel anyways. This year we went to a condo and split it 3 ways with 2 other couples. Very nice with a full kitchen, grill, patio, hot tub etc etc etc.

No trail breakage. I have always planned on it, but knock on wood!

The first time we went I had to force myself to go. I have always wanted to go, but am not keen on taking vacations and leaving work. My better half packed us up and away we went. The sites and memories are well worth it my friend!!!

Quick Reply: Cost to do a MOAB run?