Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Crap, I just just bought my dream baby, and now orders to hawaii. Dam salt air!!!!!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crap, I just just bought my dream baby, and now orders to hawaii. Dam salt air!!!!!

Guys, it took me years of waiting to get the perfect JK to me. A little back round, I have a TJ with over 200k miles, i have babied it and i have a tahoe that i have had since 98 with over 200k as well. i care for them.

Now, i have orders to Hawaii for four years. I will sell the tahoe, take the tj but the jk, i am seriously panic'ed. i want to keep it for years but the salt air. storage? take? ???????
Old 12-06-2011, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Damn! Decisions, decisions....first, how long will you be assigned in Hawaii? If you can go that long without then I would say store it, but there are quite a few guys on here from HI and I'm sure they could give you quite a few tips on how to prepare for the salt, etc...
Old 12-06-2011, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Are you nuts? 4 years in hawaii with a JK sounds like most people's dream vacation. Take it!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I grew up in Massachusetts so I'm used to seeing the rust damage caused by salt on the roads during winter. I moved to SoCal in '98 where they never salt the roads and it's remarkable how many vehicles last so much longer. However, I live 4 blocks from the ocean and the salt air is present. I generally hose down my Jeep at least once a week & I haven't noticed any damage so far. I would think if you can hose your JK every few days you should be ok, but I'm not an expert.
Look at the bright side, I can think of a lot worse places to be stationed.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about a rust inhibitor treatment? like this one on quadratec just trying to think of Ideas
http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...it=Go%21&red=t
Old 12-06-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

I would be there for four years. i just don't want to have my baby to corrode on me.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:57 AM
JfK
JK Enthusiast

What's the sense of just buying a brand new vehicle and storing it for 4 years? Enjoy the Jeep!
Old 12-06-2011, 07:02 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Take the Jeep to Hawaii with you drive it like you stoled it and sell it, I think Jeeps bring PREMIUM PRICES in Hawaii.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TealTj
Guys, it took me years of waiting to get the perfect JK to me. A little back round, I have a TJ with over 200k miles, i have babied it and i have a tahoe that i have had since 98 with over 200k as well. i care for them.

Now, i have orders to Hawaii for four years. I will sell the tahoe, take the tj but the jk, i am seriously panic'ed. i want to keep it for years but the salt air. storage? take? ???????
You would love having a jeep in Hawaii. So many places to go Soo many things to do and see. Topless doorless since you are taking te tj I see no need to take the Jk. Just save it for special for when you get back
Old 12-06-2011, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by flot
Are you nuts? 4 years in hawaii with a JK sounds like most people's dream vacation. Take it!
I co-sign!!! Here's what I would do... Leave the doors and hardtop back home. Invest in some halfdoors, and put the soft top on it.. Then, floss it and enjoy the beautiful island.

Quick Reply: Crap, I just just bought my dream baby, and now orders to hawaii. Dam salt air!!!!!