Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Crap, I just just bought my dream baby, and now orders to hawaii. Dam salt air!!!!!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No doubt about it take the Jeep. As an alternative to what... selling it at a huge loss or storing your brand new vehicle for 4 years? No way. I've never been stationed there, but I am military and I've spent enough time there to know your vehicle will be fine. People bring their vehicles over all the time with no issues. It's nothing like the salted roads back east. You have nothing to worry about. Hawaii would be a blast with the Jeep. Would I want to take my 66 Mustang there for 4 years, probably not, but with these newer cars I'm not so concerned about rust in such a relatively short amount of time. Like the above poster mentioned, just give it a wash every week, or you can let the freak rain storms take care of it for you (there are lots of them). Just don't keep the top down.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Def. take it with you. Not saying it will happen but if it does a Jeep is the ONLY vehicle that looks great clean, dirty, in perfect dentless condition or battleworn dented an rusted out. Learn to love it in all its phases of life and itll truely be your baby.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TealTj
I would be there for four years. i just don't want to have my baby to corrode on me.
4 YEARS??!!! Aint no way I'd leave mine in storage for 4 YEARS!!! Pack her up and take her, you'll be glad you did!
Old 12-06-2011, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by smittycm
No doubt about it take the Jeep. As an alternative to what... selling it at a huge loss or storing your brand new vehicle for 4 years? No way. I've never been stationed there, but I am military and I've spent enough time there to know your vehicle will be fine. People bring their vehicles over all the time with no issues. It's nothing like the salted roads back east. You have nothing to worry about. Hawaii would be a blast with the Jeep. Would I want to take my 66 Mustang there for 4 years, probably not, but with these newer cars I'm not so concerned about rust in such a relatively short amount of time. Like the above poster mentioned, just give it a wash every week, or you can let the freak rain storms take care of it for you (there are lots of them). Just don't keep the top down.
X2 on this one! Take it and enjoy. Hawaii is not the east coast for rust, your JK will be fine. You will be better if you take it with you!
Old 12-06-2011, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

I was in Hawaii, the rust worries are over blown. Take regular care of your vehicles and they should be fine. Google does bring up an argument of windward vs. leeward side of the island, windward being wetter, therefore more rust, but meh not really a big deal.

It's a whole lot of fun, get out there and enjoy the island, swim with sharks, learn to surf, laugh at the tourists, and the natives.....I miss it almost every day.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I live on on island with extreme weather, salt air, and heavily salted roads. Our Jeep dealer including service manager all run these on their Jeeps. You can turn all their nuts with hand tools, no rust on the brakes, etc. About $200 and doesn't have to be reapplied yearly. It wasn't available when I got my Jeep and I have been doing a spray on product, but makes a mess and has a sticky wax coating on the parts. My next new Jeep will definitely have this. Just doing this to my wife's new Durango.

http://www.counteractcpr.com/

Food for thought. I would not leave the Jeep behind.

Good luck.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did 3 years on Oahu on Schofield Barracks. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT go to Hawaii without your Jeep. You will regret it, I missed the hell out of mine. Just slap a bikini for the light showers and run it without doors.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Certainly a dilemma that I wouldn't man having!
Old 12-06-2011, 03:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TJM12
Certainly a dilemma that I wouldn't man having!
Mind...wouldn't mind having
Old 12-06-2011, 05:23 PM
JK Newbie

I alao Just hope the gov moves cars in inclosed containers.

Quick Reply: Crap, I just just bought my dream baby, and now orders to hawaii. Dam salt air!!!!!