Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The Cure for the Dreaded "Hummer" Comment?

Old 03-03-2008, 07:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a unlimited with the hard top, it seems like everyday I get the "nice Hummer" for someone. Saturday the wife and I were doing some shopping, as we left a store a gentleman said "that's a really nice Hummer", I said thank you. After getting in the Jeep my wife asked why didn't you correct him?
I told her that I use to correct people but it was taking up to much time in my life, as it turns into a ten minute conversation and I just don't have the energy to do it everyday. A couple minutes later we pull up to a restaurant to have lunch, as my wife gets out a man walking by said "nice Hummer" to her. She looks at him and said "thank you", then turns to me and smiles.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can call my Jeep whatever you want. I know it's a Jeep and that's all that counts.

Who cares what those dipshits think?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

i've had my hard top unlimited for less than 2 weeks and have heard 3 hummer comments. one thing i noticed was that all 3 meant it as a compliment.

the vibe i got was more like: wow, your jeep might actually be mistaken for the almighty hummer.

it doesn't bother me though. no one has meant it as an insult....they "just don't understand."
Old 03-03-2008, 09:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

.....i'm not seeing the whole hummer thing maybe they just don't have a heart should we just laugh at them, or write jeep backwards on our fists so they can figure it out?
Old 03-04-2008, 04:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by dusmmdb
... I just think they need to be "educated" from time to time ...
Well said. I don't confuse Jeeps and Hummers because I own a four door JK. And, owning a Trans Am for the past 30 years, I also don't confuse them (though my son, who can recognize almost every car he sees, including truly exotic stuff, still does confuse them). And I don't get upset if someone inadvertently points out my "Hummer". I just correct them.

The only time I was bothered by a Hummer comment, it wasn't directed at me (though it was about my JK). My son overheard a lady at the ice cream social at the Moab KOA make a comment about the "Hummer wannabe" parked at an adjacent campsite. He told me about it later. I would have pointed out to the lady that the Jeep that she was referring to (obviously she recognized it as such) had been off-roading in the past three weeks in Sedona, Moab, Canyonlands, etc. In all of that time we had not seen a single Hummer on any of those trails. The last thing that I wanted for my Jeep JK was to be some chrome-domed, sissified, slush-boxed, powered-everything piece of crap that I'd rent for some outrageous price from some outfit just so I could look cool driving up to some wait-in-line-forever restaurant in Moab. My life is better that that.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Well said. I don't confuse Jeeps and Hummers because I own a four door JK. And, owning a Trans Am for the past 30 years, I also don't confuse them (though my son, who can recognize almost every car he sees, including truly exotic stuff, still does confuse them). And I don't get upset if someone inadvertently points out my "Hummer". I just correct them.

The only time I was bothered by a Hummer comment, it wasn't directed at me (though it was about my JK). My son overheard a lady at the ice cream social at the Moab KOA make a comment about the "Hummer wannabe" parked at an adjacent campsite. He told me about it later. I would have pointed out to the lady that the Jeep that she was referring to (obviously she recognized it as such) had been off-roading in the past three weeks in Sedona, Moab, Canyonlands, etc. In all of that time we had not seen a single Hummer on any of those trails. The last thing that I wanted for my Jeep JK was to be some chrome-domed, sissified, slush-boxed, powered-everything piece of crap that I'd rent for some outrageous price from some outfit just so I could look cool driving up to some wait-in-line-forever restaurant in Moab. My life is better that that.
I hope you don't mind me using your picture but there is the answer for those people who do NOT know.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4door jeep.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	6722  
Old 03-04-2008, 06:45 AM
JK Junkie

I've only gotten the comment a couple of times, but then again I have a soft top, so it's more easily recognized as a Jeep. I've had the top down for more than a week and have actually gotten a couple "nice Jeep" comments.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:26 AM
JK Super Freak

I wonder how many people with Hummers have gotten the "Nice Jeep" compliment?

I would rather have my JK called a Hummer then....... "Hey nice FJ"
Old 03-04-2008, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

Default come back?

It doesn't bother me too much, but I've only heard it once or twice. But my reponse was a very pompous, "It's not a Hummer, it's what we use to get Hummers unstuck."
Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we should sneek into a hummer forum and talk about jeeps the whole time see how empty their trail section is lol

Quick Reply: The Cure for the Dreaded "Hummer" Comment?