Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

D-Rings?

Old 07-06-2007, 03:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default D-Rings?

Hey guys!! Hubbo got me some d-rings for my new bumper...but they are silver ( and you know how us cool reds feel about silver ) anyway I want to paint them black?? How? Any suggestions?? also when I put them on...won't they scratch up my bumper?? What can I put under them or shouldn't I bother??...and I still need to get that winch....I have no clue what to get...almost got one at Costco yesterday....by champion? 8000? anyone know anything about this?? thanks!!
Old 07-06-2007, 04:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JKGirl
Hey guys!! Hubbo got me some d-rings for my new bumper...but they are silver ( and you know how us cool reds feel about silver ) anyway I want to paint them black?? How? Any suggestions?? also when I put them on...won't they scratch up my bumper?? What can I put under them or shouldn't I bother??...and I still need to get that winch....I have no clue what to get...almost got one at Costco yesterday....by champion? 8000? anyone know anything about this?? thanks!!
See if you can find some that are painted already, the silver ones are galvanized and wont hold paint well. You can always repaint the painted ones.

And yeah, they will bang around and leave marks unless you strap them down.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at your local hardware store for a product called Plasticote or Plastidip?? Cant remember the exact name but it comes in a can for dipping and even comes in a spray. Basically, it's for coating something with a "rubberized" finish. It's almost like the coating on the handles of pliers, channellocks, etc. It's good stuff. The coating is durable and would eliminate scratching your bumper from vibrations and bouncing.
P.S. You can get it in different colors also. Our local True Value has it and I'm pretty sure Lowe's is carrying it now.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:13 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you just call JKGirl a dip???

uh-oh. :toung:

*L* seriously though, yes, they make it in colors. WE "dip" alot of the tools at work with it to color code them for certain boxes.

and yes, sadly, it comes in red. likely a nearly perfect match for your jeep.

if you do it though, make sure you put a bolt in the threads while you do, then trim around the bolt & remove it, or the stuff is a bear to get out of the threads. the other non threaded side you would need to trim after the fact, or find a pin or someting the right size to leave in it while you do it.

If you coat the pin, it wont fit anymore, and youll have to peel it off anyhow.

I did this on some of the components for the three point hitch on my tractor.
You need to make sure it is good and clean with a degreaser of some sort, or it wont adhere correctly. IT is semi durable, but not at the level of powdercoating. but cheaper and easier to fix if it gets screwed up (which it will when you use the rings.)

P.S. Any tractor supply store will have gaggles of d-rings (painted, unpainted, stainless...) they are used on farm equipment all the time.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it. I've been looking for something to coat them with. I didn't even think of plastic dip. Mine don't contact my front bumper and I don't have my rear bumper yet, but this would also solve your bumper contact issue JKGirl.

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

You need to make sure it is good and clean with a degreaser of some sort, or it wont adhere correctly. IT is semi durable, but not at the level of powdercoating. but cheaper and easier to fix if it gets screwed up (which it will when you use the rings.)
What he said!
Old 07-06-2007, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ohhh I am going to get some today!!! ( after the bead store, the mall, and other shopping... ) And I am not getting red...nope I want black...think it will look better...I ordered new seat covers too...in all black neoprene.... I can't wait!!!!! oh but I still have to get a winch...what to do about that???
Old 07-06-2007, 07:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red for me.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:08 AM
JK Freak

Well? What did you do about the D rings? Just curious.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

Edit Edit Edit

Last edited by RiggerMike; 09-06-2008 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: D-Rings?