Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealer Just Can't Get it Right

Old 12-06-2018, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dealer Just Can't Get it Right

So here's one for everyone.
I take my JKU to a local dealer for a brake job. Sounds like a joke I know, just wait.
I drove it there with only worn parts. Not something is wrong type of thing. I take all the parts. Rotors, pads, calipers(because 1 was seizing up a little and my Jeep has 108k thought I just do them all) and lines(which turn out to be to long so weren't used). Went to pick it up the next day and the pedal just keeps going to the floor. So now They have had it for 9 soon to be 10 days and have replaced the master cylinder, the hydraulic control unit and the mc booster?(I'mnot paying for as told to me by service manager).
I went today day 9 and almost the same thing. And they seem to have no idea. Was going to give it back to me like this.
WTF!!! This is a Jeep dealership that is doing a basic brake job. Just un-bolt and bolt on new.
Had to vent!! So f+@#in frustrated!!!
Told them to take it to another dealer so maybe they could fix it. Oh they told me today I wouldn't be charged for any other service they have to do to it.
Thanks for listening.

Last edited by RoccoV; 12-11-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

There's a thread happening on brake boosters where it's suggested to run the Mopar ABS blerd procedure 6 times or so in a row to get a firm pedal back.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Supposedly they have bleed the brakes a numerous amount of times and performed the abs bleed the same. Still not home yet. Day 10 and going into the weekend.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:58 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by RoccoV
<snip> Went to pick it up the next day and the brake pedal just keeps going to the floor. </snip>
Of all the things that have went wrong in this story, that's the worst -- That's how people can get hurt. This didn't even happen in high school auto shop with 16 year old kids doing the work.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well day 14 and still not home. They tell me they are working with the Jeep star program. They have Jeep support looking into what it could be. I'm thinking they're giving up. Going down to the dealer today or tomorrow to speak to them in person again. I'll let you know.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Man... that's just crazy. I would think they would just get to the point of changing out the ABS module and brake booster... there's only so much stuff in a brake system...
Old 12-11-2018, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok so talked to service manager today. Here we go. I asked if there was any change to which he said no. "We are working with the Jeep engineers to figure it out" was said again. They were lifting my Jeep from the front and leaving the rear tires on the ground to see if they can get all the air out of the lines using gravity. After all that I said "it seems like there has been no change since day 2", the first day I went to pick it up and after the first service (rotors, calipers, pads) "Let's go back to day 2 since nothing has changed with all the parts you have thrown at it. The first service started all the issues don't you think?" To which he said "ok tomorrow we will rule out the calipers". Don't you think they would have thought of that in the beginning of this problem? WTF???
So if after tomorrow it is not fixed Thursday I will be meeting with the GM, Service manager, Director of Fixed Products (which mind is not), Shop Forman and Technicians.
I'm hoping after talking with the SM he communicates with the shop foreman and the technician about checking the calipers. I would hope they have checked them already.?.?
Old 12-11-2018, 10:02 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Bleeding and air bubbles just shouldn't be that problematic. That business with the front end in the air sounds like an act of desperation. They undoubtedly have (and have used) a pressure bleeder plus the factory scan tool for the ABS bleed sequence.

Here's a guess from a keyboard 2000 miles away: The "new" master cylinder is bad, or they forgot to fill and bleed it on the bench before installation. The latter will introduce much air, making it take a lot more brake fluid and time to get all the air out.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

This is crazy. I can only say you've been much more patient that I would be. In my mind a big issue is that the jeep has to have been sitting to the side, idle for a good part of this period....while they're working on other vehicles......whereas I think it should be sitting in the bay with constant attention until they figure it out and can THEN move on to the next vehicle. I would be dealing with the top chain of command at that dealership, and bitching all the way up to the top of Fiat Chrysler about the specific dealership (you'd be surprised how things get done with CEO's receive letters).

Like mentioned above, there's not all that much to a brake system. I can't even imagine a dealer lifting the front end in an effort to use gravity to help. That is sometime maybe the most desperate shade tree mechanic might try in an extreme pinch. lol. This really just reminds me why I avoid dealers at all cost. I hope you finally get this thing back in good shape, and soon. LOL, tell them to install a MOPAR big brake kit free of charge while they're at it!
Old 12-12-2018, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok here we go. They are replacing the new calipers with, you guessed it new calipers. They sent one of their trucks to pick them up today and as of 3:00pm today they were expecting them any minute. To which I said "So not going to be fixed today?" Answer "Depends on when the truck gets here." So no Jeep today. Tomorrow we are at day 15 and I will be setting up a meeting as I said above.
I still don't understand why it took 13 days to go back to the parts they put on the Jeep on day one. Even if they find a bad caliper I will not pay for one thing more and will still have a meeting fixed or not. Then one that occurs I will fill out the survey I have been sent about my "Service" at this dealership. I will put a link to my posts so they can read each one as I have written them.
I'm sure I can find an email address to send a nice long email about what has and has not happen with this dealership.

Quick Reply: Dealer Just Can't Get it Right