Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealer raped me

Old 02-26-2010, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I'm just guessing here, but I'll bet the person he talked to was clueless as to what was done (duh). It won't surprise me to learn that they did, indeed, install cam bolts and that's why they are charging more (the original quote assumed cam bolts were already present). If that's the case, Rozzman10, you might be hosed since you likely signed a release to have "necessary" work performed, and the shop can claim that the cam bolts were necessary to do the alignment you requested. Cam bolts are a bad thing for a Jeep that is wheeled, and the only way to "remove" them involves welding up the damage they've done.
they didnt install cam bolts.. i did when i put the lift on.. i cut the stock control arm slot because it has a perferated edge.. so there is about MAYBE 1" of movement they could have done.. but WTF.. a come along?

Originally Posted by nikbass
Regardless of the process, cam bolts or come-along, (OMG I just had to type that.) They effectively damaged your Jeep.

There is always the posibility that they did nither and just raped you which in your shoes I'd prefer.
i know.. im going to call them on monday and say something.. ridiculous

Originally Posted by Ko-hai
FYI. Most SUV's and 4WD vehicles that need alignments cost $59.99 or $69.99 depending on parts or labor needed.
i was QUOTED $40.. and never signed a waiver.. and they never called.. i believe there will be some bad things come out of this little mishap..

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
That sounds bad, i dont know how they would quite do that sucessfully. Maybe they were trying to center the axle? Any wierd track bar mounts or something that are slotted to where they would need to do that? Just tossing another idea for "come-along" use.

Sounds way odd for sure.
they were trying to center it.. it was off.. both axles pulled in towrds the middle of the jeep because of the lif and no new control arms.. but seriously.. a come along?? then shaft me on the money@!!!?@?@?$#$
Old 02-26-2010, 01:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hkx3
My god whats wrong with wheelin a jeep with cam bolts?

Ive been out several times now, and nothing has exploded or fallen apart.
The problem is they are a silent killer. They don't just loosen with a bang like a loose shock. They loosen slowly and allow movement in other joints. Those other joints can become faulty and it can take some careful troubleshooting to track the source back to the cam bolts. By the time they become completely loose it usually on the trail under less than ideal repair conditions and the mounts have wallowed out.

If the mounts were originally designed to use cam bolts with some screws to lock in the cam position (like bicycles used to have on the rear axle fork) they might not be so bad.

If you continue to use them just inspect the bolt position, the proper torque and your Caster regularly specially before you hit a challenging trail.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:55 PM
JK Freak

ok.. just got off the phone with the dealership.. they said that the reasaon for the come along was because no man is strong enough to pull the caster and camber in and out? i guess they were setting it.. im still not sure what the hell they did that took 3.5 hours and a come along.. prob gonna drop by and see them monday and get a visual explanation..
Old 02-26-2010, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by spinlock
The problem is they are a silent killer. They don't just loosen with a bang like a loose shock. They loosen slowly and allow movement in other joints. Those other joints can become faulty and it can take some careful troubleshooting to track the source back to the cam bolts. By the time they become completely loose it usually on the trail under less than ideal repair conditions and the mounts have wallowed out.

If the mounts were originally designed to use cam bolts with some screws to lock in the cam position (like bicycles used to have on the rear axle fork) they might not be so bad.

If you continue to use them just inspect the bolt position, the proper torque and your Caster regularly specially before you hit a challenging trail.
how should i check to see if my caster and stuff is right? give it an eye over? lol
Old 02-26-2010, 02:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were really raped by the dealer, I suggest calling the police. If you weren't, I suggest you stop using the word "rape." There are lots of other fun words out there that don't also refer to an awful crime.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

let me diverse.. i got the shaft from the dealer..? what else is acceptable without sounding like i was violated lol
Old 02-26-2010, 02:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
I suggest you stop using the word "rape." There are lots of other fun words out there that don't also refer to an awful crime.
IT IS AWFULL !!!
Old 02-26-2010, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Yoda
IT IS AWFULL !!!
i agree.. just a poor college kid tryin to get through school
Old 02-26-2010, 03:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
If you were really raped by the dealer, I suggest calling the police. If you weren't, I suggest you stop using the word "rape." There are lots of other fun words out there that don't also refer to an awful crime.
How bout"dealer plugged him in the butt, wall reamed his ass, or face humped him" those better?
Old 02-26-2010, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

mk always has a way with words lol

Quick Reply: Dealer raped me