Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealership VOIDED my Warranty

Old 04-26-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dealership VOIDED my Warranty

Some of you are aware of the problem's i have had with my Jeep concerning it leaking oil, the steering stabilizer, wheel speed sensor, the bad rattles, the rear main seals, the missing bolts in the intake manifold, the failed parking brake, the failed door bushings, the paint etching.. and the Dealership problems.

So, just an update for what has been going on with my Jeep.

The persistent oil leak was deemed to be the transmission oil (after 2 more rear main's, both engine oil pans and transmission oil pan, and intake manifold seals) because the dye that was put into the engine oil was not seen in the UV test. It was supposedly a transmission vent that was clogged and seeping out the sides because of raised temperature in the transmission. So supposedly that was fixed but the Jeep continues to have oil on the bottom of the bell housing...

Anyway the Jeep still sounded like a tractor and the dealer foudn that it was the exhaust manifold that was cracked, and they were also going to hook me up with driver side door bushings. Sounds great right? nope. I have recently had a shudder that feels like i'm driving over rumbling strips at ~44mph and 1100 to 1400 RPM. Service rep said it sounded like a torque converter problem.

Jeep went in and the manifold and bushings were fixed, also, they could not replicate the shudder even given the parameters, and also said the TSB's on Project JK (specifically about torque converter problems) didn't apply to my 2007 Jeep which shudders like rumble strips.

They also handed me an envelope and said be sure to have my parents (i'm 19 and Jeep is in mom's name) and the other dealer look at this envelope.

The dealership has VOIDED my extended power train warranty we purchased through them. They claim that I have misused and abused my Jeep, as well as neglected it.

ALL the repairs performed were for oil leaks and recalls, and these latest are from the exhaust manifold and door bushings. I have never broken anything off road, and have never brought my Jeep to the dealership for something going wrong after an offroading trip. My Jeep has not been off the pavement since novemebr of 2010, and i have never been "stupid" offraod and have never even gotten stuck, because i sta so safe.

Attached in the envelope were pictures of my Jeep at a local offroad park. The service manager went on my Facebook account and printed my pictures for evidence of abuse and neglect. The trails the Jeep was on were rated for stock vehicles, and i do not beat up my Jeep. I baby it.

I have had a case with chrysler over the oil leaks and problems and have contacted my case manager about the problem and he's talking to the dealer tomorrow. I am going to try and get a meeting with the dealership owner to discuss the matter, as i have filed two formal complaints against the very service department that has decided to void my extended powertrain warranty that we bought when we order the vehicle new back in 2007.

I feel that this is a result of frustration from the dealership retaliating against my many dealer visits over power train related problems that are from the factory, and my two formal complaints about the service department.

This honestly deters me from ever buying a Jeep product again, and i will deter others by telling them my story. I am going to attempt to schedule an appointment with the dealership owner tomorrow, as my warranty service was through the dealership and not through Chrysler, although i have had an open case with chrysler for over a month concerning the problem's my Jeep has had.

I have been the nicest most easy going person to deal with, i have not lost my temper with anyone concernign the vehicle or the dealerships and rely on truth and kindness.. I would rather try to reason with everyone then start yelling at people. So far this has not worked..

Wish me luck.

EDIT: 6/29/11
Scheduled appointment for Jeep to get worked on by Sliman's in Amherst (good dealership) on thursday for them to repair the slipping torque converter, front pump, and other parts associated with the repair. Jeep came through to assist me in my claim and is going to cover all but $300, which i am thankful to pay because otherwise it would be upwards of $1500+

For those of you who only read the first page, the warranty company was a third party company who canceled my policy. The dealership did nothing to help, didn't care, nor lift a finger for assistance. The "we hate to lose you as a customer" line just makes me laugh anymore, and 98% of their talk was BS... I'll never visit their business again..

I still get compliments on my Jeep today and people are still shocked that the Jeep has ever left pavement. Apparently people don't know what an abused and neglected vehicle actually looks like...

7/25:
Jeep is finally fixed with a bill of $1700+ bucks. Luckily Jeep covered all but $300 bucks, which i think is enough. The Amherst dealership (the good dealership) had the Jeep for the day and had it all fixed and ready to go. Jeep runs great, no more shudder, no more issues with the Jeep (knock on wood everywhere). This should end the thread unless it bursts in flames.

Last edited by Yamaha90; 07-29-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks. Why was your Facebook completely open to outside visitors? Change your privacy settings. Your jeep is fairly modified though. just about any dealer no matter the brand is going to void the warranty with that level of aftermarket accessories.

Mitsubishi voided a warranty for a customers evo x / they found pics of a auto x event on the owners Facebook page.

Nissan has voided peoples warranty for using the stock launch control button on people's Nissan gt-r

Unfortunately it is not uncommon.

Last edited by nortski3; 04-26-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I hate dealing with dealerships.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:07 PM
JK Freak

I would ask the dealership what the trail rated badge stands for? And if you can't take it on trails, why did Chrysler bother putting that badge on it.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will definately keep you guys updated on what happens, as for Facebook, i haven't updated my privacy stuff and left it "recommended" settings. Now y'all have to be my friend to see my pictures and stuff. which is how it should be..

Trail Rated for those harsh winter snow storms and the occasional pot hole and puddle. Thats what the lockers and disconnect is for too.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some dealers are good and some are,.......well, A**HOLES. You're doing the right thing by keeping a level head. I'm a laid-back kinda guy but I would probably have a hard time keeping it together after all of that, kudos to you on that. I hope everything works out for you when all is said and done.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:22 PM
JK Freak

h ttp://www.bbb.org/
Old 04-26-2011, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about your situation, I have had 5 new cars between me and my wife and Chrysler is by far the worst of the worst. They are S O Bs who dont give a rats ass about you once you drive off their lot. I will never buy another Chrysler.. I will add, I have had my share of issues with my Jeep (warped plastic header, death wobble, bad leaking) But I loove my wrangler
Old 04-26-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume you PAID for the extended warranty? Is there a RECORD of them refusing warranty coverage on any prior visit? If service was not refused on prior visits then them dropping your paid-for warranty coverage is retaliation, pure and simple. Have any parts been replaced due to to breakage? It's impossible to abuse a jeep on a trail and not break something. Have you had the Jeep serviced regularly, oil changes, etc? It sounds to me like a court visit might be in order. Something like this the dealership will lose. I've been to court a few times on auto related issues and invariably the judge goes with the owner, unless the dealer has abused parts and repair orders backing up his claims. At the least, a full refund should be in order for any monies charged for the warranty. A true warranty is NOT administered by the dealership. The dealership keeps a percentage of the extended warranty fee( believe it or not 50% is very common) and purchases a warranty for you with the manufacturer or an outside vendor with the balance. The dealership cannot deny you coverage , only the policy issuer. Now if the dealer sells you extended warranty coverage but elects to keep ALL the money, then they assume responsibility for covered repairs. If your vehicle runs beyond what they feel like absorbing, then you are likely to be ''cancelled''. Did you actually get an insurance policy? If not, then a little heart-to-heart conversation might be in order.... Remember this is NOT legal advice.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

man im sorry to hear that i hope everything gets worked out

Quick Reply: Dealership VOIDED my Warranty