Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Did I make a mistake in purchasing a Jeep?

Old 07-27-2010, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I make a mistake in purchasing a Jeep?

Hi All,
I recently purchased a 2007 X 2dr with 40k miles and I am loving it. It has a freedom top, 2" leveling kit, 33" MT KM2 tires, tow pkg, a/c, electronic sway bar disconnect and axle lock. I paid 17K and feel it was a fair deal....i think.

I question it now because of some earlier posts describing engines dying around the 40k mark. What's the deal? How concerned should I be, and what are some preventative steps that I should be doing. Obviously I will be very very conscientious about changing the oil every 3k, and will take it in for all of the manufacturers suggested maintenances.

Anyways, it's great being a Jeep owner...not sure why it took so long to come to my senses. For the longest time i've owned classic broncos...never again...
Old 07-27-2010, 07:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Welcome to the forum and hope you love your new to you Jeep... I'd have to say that for ALL of the 3.8L's shortcomings, early death has not been a huge issue.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe that all 2007+ wranglers come with the lifetime powertrain warranty and I HOPE that a complete engine failure such as you describe would be covered. You might want to call your local dealer and see what it takes to get that warranty transferred into your name.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Welcome to the group. If you let the posts on a forum, many of which are used by the unknowing to complain about what they don't know about, to dissuade you from a great vehicle - then yes you bought the wrong vehicle.

If you bought the Wrangler for the best all-around vehicle available that will provide you with mile after mile of perma-grin then you bought the only vehicle. Enjoy. If you doubt that - pull off the top, put on your sun-glasses and cruise around and see. There is no issue with motors having problems. There are some but go on any forum for any vehicle and you'll find the same thing.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattb2179
Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe that all 2007+ wranglers come with the lifetime powertrain warranty and I HOPE that a complete engine failure such as you describe would be covered. You might want to call your local dealer and see what it takes to get that warranty transferred into your name.
Not true. Lifetime Powertrain Warranty is available to original owner only and is not transferrable. Only warranty is 3/36K and that's up.

I'm approaching 40K myself (just rolled over 37K last week). Change the oil regularly, treat the Jeep well and it should give you many great years of service.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:00 PM
JK Super Freak

The only warranty possible on a 2007 is if there is any remaining 3yr/36,000 - which there isn't in this case. Otherwise you have to take the dealer or after-market vendor up on a used vehicle repair warranty. With power options and computers on late-model vehicles, it can be worth it if you have even one moderate repair. No portion of any "original owner lifetime power-train warranty" is transferable.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
If you bought the Wrangler for the best all-around vehicle available that will provide you with mile after mile of perma-grin then you bought the only vehicle. Enjoy.

This is probably the best description for a Wrangler that I have heard. This is my first jeep of any kind and there is just something about getting in one that just puts a smile on your face and make the journey just as fun as(sometimes funner than) the destination. Enjoy it, I know I do.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:43 AM
JK Newbie

not sure but I heard you could buy the lifetime warranty from the dealer if you want to.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to beat a dead horse, but the early 2007's came with the 3/36 only, and in order for any with one of those to get the extendeded was to opt for the extended warranty prior to the expiration of the 3/36. In addition the lifetime powertrain warranty was not trasnferable.
As far as the JK's having engine failure problems, there were a few, but then again many new vehicles of all makes and models have had similar problems.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

For all of the 3.8's shortcomings, a short lifespan isn't one of them. They have been around for many years (in minivan form) and are a solid, reliable engine. The key, as with any vehicle, is performing the scheduled maintenance laid out in the owner's/ service manual.

Enjoy your Jeep! I know I enjoy mine!

Quick Reply: Did I make a mistake in purchasing a Jeep?