Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Did you Lose a Jeep? Finders Keepers! Right?

Old 05-09-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you Lose a Jeep? Finders Keepers! Right?

Crazy Story!
One month ago, I received a call….
“Mr. Matthew?” …..yes
“My names Duke and I’ve been setting trot lines and fishing the creek/bayou that runs along the back of your property.”…… ok, have you caught any fish?
“Yes sir, but that’s not why I’m calling.” “There is a vehicle that has been stuck on your property for a while…..It’s a jeep with the top down.”

Side note: There’s only two ways to get a vehicle to the creek on my property
1) 2 mile long, old logging road that would require moving 4 if not 5 – fallen 75 year old Water Oaks
2) Crossing the creek during the low water season, which ended early this year maybe in Feb./ early March

That next weekend I met Duke and took a boat ride to the stuck vehicle. A 2011 4-door jeep stuck up to the doors in mud. Interior covered in leaves, soaking wet, mud, bugs living amongst the mess. Obviously this vehicle has been here at least a week or two and a couple rainfalls. I had no idea how it got there….. Another week passed, still there. I called the police, it had to be stolen. With the help of the police, fire department, and some heavy duty equipment we cleared the old logging road. Pulled the jeep out (almost identical to my jeep except I have black wheels). Police ran the plates and it wasn’t claimed stolen. Towed away…….

Problem solved?!?!?! Not a chance……..

Another week or so the officer called and asked if I would come down to the station. The owner of the jeep was there pissed off, at the world, that his jeep had been towed and the police threatened him with trespassing charges. I asked how he got the jeep on my property? He said, “I was creek riding one night got stuck and decided to camp out for the night.” CREEK RIDING!!!! The water is 4’-6’ deep!

“It was only 1’ deep then, I got stuck and couldn’t find anyone to help me pull it out till the weekend.” “Then the weekend came and the water had risen to 3’. I’ve been waiting for the water to go down since March.”

Little did he know the water doesn’t go back down until July……

Well he was pissed cursing everyone who towed his vehicle because he couldn’t afford the tow bill. But making payments on a new jeep stuck in the woods, left for a month, seemed logical....

I didn’t press charges but the cops were harassing him as I left, for trespassing and the fact they helped get the vehicle out.

My question is

WOULD YOU LEAVE A NEW VEHICLE TOPLESS IN THE WOODS, RAINED IN, to MILDEW, and leave TO ROT FOR A MONTH? Just to stay out of trouble…….
Old 05-09-2012, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

Well, 3 answers to your question.
1. They're EXTREMELY stupid or
2. Lying or
3. Both.

Me thinks something else is going on they're not telling. Was it a kid? Maybe mommy's paying the bill on the Jeep and he was trying to not make her mad for acting stupid?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

excuse me officer do you smell that? I smell bull shit.

No way in hell would i leave my jeep stuck for more than a day. Hell or high water. The dumbass is full of crap. He had some story he was not telling.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's just messed up.

I found an old 60s Bronco in the woods by my parents house maybe 20 years ago. I was in my early teens. It was abandoned, missing wheels, but mostly there and obviously in woods-wheeling state. It was about a 45 minute bicycle ride into the woods to get to it - through some nasty trails with permanent mud holes. Every few months I'd go out and check it out. Someone was slowly destroying it - local kids I guess. It was also getting picked through; axles and engine were gone. I saw it recently, and it was nothing but rubble. Sad way for something like that to go. This guys lucky nothing like that happened to it.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny! I was an MP in the Army (retired now due to IED) and we had a cat in Colorado tha thad a simillar situation. BUT his girlfriend caught him cheating and drove his jeep in to a creek and promptly left. It sat there for a few days until someone called the police and had it removed....could be the same type of thing....
Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 AM
JK Super Freak

My guess, is he was driving drunk, got it stuck, and couldn't find it the next morning.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow.

No, I wouldn't.

Still, people do crazy dumb things and common sense isn't common.

Used to know a guy that LOST a truck. Got drunk (and probably stoned knowing him) back in the 80's and drove his '78 F150 shortbed 4x4 out into the woods of Northern Michigan. He remembers that, said he was heading for some campsite he liked to hang out at.
Next thing he remembers a few days have gone by, he's in his home town's lock up for drunk and disorderly, and no one knows where his truck is. He was picked up rambling through town middle of the day before drunk as a skunk.
Never found the truck. Figured he went joyriding or got lost, got stuck, walked off with his case of beer (and likely pot), and headed back to town. Never even got word of a truck out in the woods and he said he actually went out and looked for it for years afterward.

Stupid people do stupid things.

Stupid people doing stupid things makes for excellent stories.

Last edited by AJMBLAZER; 05-09-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by danmojo82
My guess, is he was driving drunk, got it stuck, and couldn't find it the next morning.
this sounds 'bout right
Old 05-09-2012, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow that's ridiculous lol. Definitely sounds like he misplaced it after a long night of drinking haha
Old 05-09-2012, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

Hmmm...lost his job, couldn't make the payments, waiting to call it in as stolen, insurance claim.

Quick Reply: Did you Lose a Jeep? Finders Keepers! Right?