Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Difference between Sport 2015 and Sahara 2015? Should I pay $4840 more for Sahara?

Old 04-19-2015, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between Sport 2015 and Sahara 2015? Should I pay $4840 more for Sahara?

Hi All, if my question is dumb, I apologise in advance.

I plan to purchase a new Wrangler 2015. Consider my budget, I could afford sport or sahara version. I got some quotas from online websites(Edmunds.com, AutoPriceShare.com, Truecar.com...). The AutoPriceShare dealer recommend me to buy Sahara version and give me a bigger discount($3000 off MSRP). For Sport Version, he only give $1800 discount.
The main things I care for a Wrangler are 6 cly and hard door. It seems that sport version already has this. Do I need to pay $4840 more for Sahara version? I am appreciated if you could give me some advices. Thanks

Last edited by runyou; 05-22-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best advice would be do some research on jeep's website and/or google your question. There will be plenty of info.
Basically a sport is the bare bones model, the sahara is a more luxurious model(power windows, doors) and the rubicon is the most capable model with some off road upgrades over the sport and sahara.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Like the previous commenter said, go to jeep.com and compare the various models. And no matter which model you choose, be sure to get a 3.73 gear, minimum, anything less and you will be disappointed.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Absolutely get the 3.73 gearing. When I ordered mine in 2012, I got the sport with the S package. This package is not bare bones. It had power windows and locks as well as leather covered steering wheel. It also gave the 17" aluminum wheels. Mine was the hard top. My point is that "sport" does not mean bare bones. As others have said. Do your research. It helps to know more than the salesmen otherwise they will sell you what they want you to buy, not necessarily what you want to have.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ask to see copies of the window stickers so you can compare options. If you can afford either model, then it really becomes about what you want. This seems obvious, but you asked, so

The Sahara has typically been an up-level trim package for those more interested in a city-going Jeep. The package has things like color-matched fenders (painted body color), larger 18" wheels with a lower-profile highway tire, available leather seats, a painted body-color top.

Mechanically they are the same as a sport (2.73:1 transfer case, 3.21 gearing in the diff's with available 3.73's) with the same suspension (softer-riding) shocks and lighter weight springs, and none of the uplevel Rubicon hardware like locking differentials, etc.

The basics (power windows, door locks, UConnnect, auto trans, 3.73 gearing option, 17" wheels) can all be had in the Sport/S model. But they are options. Base level sports still come with roll-up windows (and no A/C), 16" wheels, if I remember correctly.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:30 PM
JK Junkie

I would also go and test drive each and see if you need all the features of the Sahara compared to the sport. Also as others have stated it is all about what you want to do with your jeep. If it is going to be something you spend a lot of time in and compute far in the Sahara may make more sense. At the end of the day I would spend some time test driving a Sahara and seeing if the extra features made sense to what you want to get out of your jeep.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got the Sahara because I like bells and whistles. I was gonna regear anyhow, and I wanted truetracs, so it worked for me.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sahara shocks are far superior to sport shocks. The black Sahara shocks are actually the same body as the red rubicon shocks. They're about 1/2" shorter than rubicon so not identical but much better than sport. I replaced my Sahara shocks with rubicon shocks not knowing this information and was disappointed when there wasn't really a difference.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
Sahara shocks are far superior to sport shocks. The black Sahara shocks are actually the same body as the red rubicon shocks. They're about 1/2" shorter than rubicon so not identical but much better than sport. I replaced my Sahara shocks with rubicon shocks not knowing this information and was disappointed when there wasn't really a difference.
hold on a minute. I have never heard this in over 3yrs following this forum. I am no expert, but I really question your facts on this. Please confirm where your info comes from. According to what I know, only the rubi and Willy have the better shocks. All other (sport & sahara) use the same as each other.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
hold on a minute. I have never heard this in over 3yrs following this forum. I am no expert, but I really question your facts on this. Please confirm where your info comes from. According to what I know, only the rubi and Willy have the better shocks. All other (sport & sahara) use the same as each other.
Do a search and you'll see. Or go to a dealer and look for yourself. Look at the two pictures I snapped a couple years ago. Rubi and Sahara side by side. Build sheets note the difference as well, I've looked. I've done my research on the subject, trust me. You are incorrect when you say sport and saharas use the same shocks, they don't. The third image is all three shocks, though I did not take the picture. It was posted on this forum three years ago. You can clearly see that jeep utilizes three different shocks, with a close relation between Sahara and rubicon. The sport shocks are completely different.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3604680709.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	607418   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-904205163.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	607419   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-422407566.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	607420  

Last edited by AirJordan613; 04-21-2015 at 07:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Difference between Sport 2015 and Sahara 2015? Should I pay $4840 more for Sahara?