Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Do some states require fender flares?

Old 12-01-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do some states require fender flares?

I'm looking into possibly purchasing the EVO rear corner guards -- still saving up the cash at the moment, so not anytime soon. It's still a toss up on do I prefer the ones with the welded fender flare, or w/out the fender flare.

I know in most states there is a mudflap law depending on the vehicle lift and tire size. Do any states have a law against how much of the tire is allowed to stick out past the fender flare? Do any states state a tire cannot go past the fender flare at all? Right now my wheel backspacing is 3.75" so my 12.5" wide tires stick out a couple inches -- can't imagine with the no fender flares. Once these tires go I will eventually do either 5" backspacing or 4.75" for the new set up in order to tuck my tires back in.

I live in AZ, and there is no law for what I'm asking. But down the road, in case I move for whatever reason or do one of my huge road trips again across state borders, I don't want to have to hassle with the law.

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

there are laws but AZ for some reason sticks out as one of the states that you can almst get away with anything someone else will chime in here. but I remember a buddy registering a rail in yuma just so it was street legal.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Yes... MANY states have fender laws. In NJ the TREAD of the tire cannot stick out past the edge of the fender.

I hear in PA the flairs have to be OEM... no aftermatrket wider flairs allowed
Old 12-01-2009, 05:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I have a feeling the western states are going to be more laid back with this fender law -- wider roads, spacious infrastructure. Whereas the east coast is tight streets, connected homes, and city. Keep the info coming.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

just stop by your local state hiway patrol office and ask. They will usually set you straight.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

Angry

utah tires can't stick out past flares. also if lifted must have mudflaps to cover half the height of the tire
Old 12-07-2009, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know for sure, but something sticks in my mind that in PA the tires can't stick out more that 2" beyond the fenders of a vehicle (making fender flares pretty much mandatory on the wranglers). But aftermarket fenders are allowed to my knowledge so it isn't a big deal.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anybody know the laws for illinois/ indiana?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I have a feeling the western states are going to be more laid back with this fender law -- wider roads, spacious infrastructure. Whereas the east coast is tight streets, connected homes, and city. Keep the info coming.
is Ohio west?

We dont have fender laws, PA is very strict however
Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

i love ky, if you have tail lights you are legal

Quick Reply: Do some states require fender flares?