Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Does adding a 2.5 lift make the Jeep dangerously Top Heavy???

Old 12-11-2007, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does adding a 2.5 lift make the Jeep dangerously Top Heavy???

I just got a jeep Jk unlimited X and with it I was wanting to add a 2.5 teraflex budget booster or a full-traction to sit on top of some 33"s. I have the money to buy them but my dad says he won't let it because everyone he's talked to says that it would make the car dangerously to top heavy???
Old 12-11-2007, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

odd that none of the dozens of teraflex users here seem to complain

then again, i wouldn't trust one at 60mph on an "L" turn
Old 12-11-2007, 02:19 PM
JK Jedi Master

I would say no too, because the JK is 5" wider that it's predecessors (TJ, YJ, & CJ) which gives it a little better center of gravity. But you need to respect your parents wishes because they are only looking out for your best interests and safety.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll add to the chorus and say no as well. I have been running the Tera 2.5" for months and have noticed no difference in ride quality or cornering. Don't even have any ESP problems. With that said, Robar is right, your parents are just looking out for you. Perhaps you can convince them that wider tires are needed along with the lift in order to restore the center of gravity.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

What do you think a 12.5 width for the tire?
Old 12-11-2007, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

No problems, particularly if you widen the track as much or more than the lift.

12.5 tires on stock rims are gonna need spacers to keep from rubbing. Those will widen the track too
Old 12-11-2007, 06:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by toad
I have a 2.5" lift. The JK is my daily driver. As long as you aren't driving around like speed racer around corners, it's completely fine. I also have 32" tires, but am going to be going to 35s REAL soon. As long as you drive responsibly, everything should be fine
Well my wife DOES drive ours like speed racer(scares me sometimes) and no issues. Not even a peep from the ESP. But like others have said, your parents are just looking out for you. Id do some research and present your case in an intelligent, informed manner. And if that doesnt work.....grovel and beg... that's how I get my wife to give in anyway. I annoy her into submision
Old 12-11-2007, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't noticed it.. being more top heavy... I don't drive like an A$$ either.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

well i guess ill be the honest one i dirve my jeep like shes a porche and have no problems at all my bronco was on 44 inch boggers and even on the freeway never felt topheavy
Old 12-12-2007, 04:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wvcowboy
I just got a jeep Jk unlimited X and with it I was wanting to add a 2.5 teraflex budget booster or a full-traction to sit on top of some 33"s. I have the money to buy them but my dad says he won't let it because everyone he's talked to says that it would make the car dangerously to top heavy???

if dad bought the jeep... then just be happy you are driving a car(more less a jeep) the same year that it came out.

from you screen name it might not be that bad of an idea. West Virginia Cowboy, i assume.

a jeep is inherently "top heavy." i had a 93 YJ in high school with 4" lift an 33" tires and i came close to flipping it on occasion if i was driving it like a sports car. it isnt going to flip unless you are doing something stupid.

show you dad that you can operate the jeep in a respectful manner. maybe get him to take you to a camp jeep or some jeep outing where there will be some modified jeeps around and some guys with knowledge on the issue. it might soften him up to the idea.

Quick Reply: Does adding a 2.5 lift make the Jeep dangerously Top Heavy???