Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Does this look stupid

Old 11-10-2013, 02:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Orangutan
Reminds me of a jeep at our local driving range, used to rake up balls..., that aside..., versatility.., wow, what a great idea, especially if you need to tow a trailer.

^^^^^^^^
That's funny.

Seriously, utilitarian accessories rarely look great, they serve a purpose.

When you need the basket, run it, when you don't, get it off there.

Here's one from this years SEMA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Folding Basket med.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	510752

Old 11-10-2013, 02:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care for the look but it's your Jeep and if it serves a purpose then do what you got to do!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using JK-Forum
Old 11-10-2013, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cargo basket also hit my spare when I tried to open my gate and I also couldn't fold up the basket. I used a receiver drop to move it out and back from the Jeep. Now I can have it loaded to just above the rails and still open my gate. I also have room to fold it up behind the Jeep without hitting the spare. I drilled an additional hitch pin hole in the basket's receiver tube in order to move the basket closer, to just beyond the spare when folded. With the drop it still rides plenty high behind the Jeep (I'm lifted) for venturing out on the beach through deep ruts in the sand. I also use it when we go camping.

I think your idea is a good one. The main limitation is interfering with the headlights when it's folded up and not knowing how far out it is in front of you when it's folded down. You might also be careful about carrying too much weight that far forward as it could impact your steering and control. Lastly if something did fall out of the basket or if straps worked themselves loose they could interfere with your drag link or cause steering concerns. I was watching a KOH video where a winch line had unspooled and gotten wrapped around the driveshaft... it didn't turn out well.

Hmmm as I think about it, carrying stuff up front does seem to have some disadvantages.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThingsAbove
My cargo basket also hit my spare when I tried to open my gate and I also couldn't fold up the basket. I used a receiver drop to move it out and back from the Jeep. Now I can have it loaded to just above the rails and still open my gate. I also have room to fold it up behind the Jeep without hitting the spare. I drilled an additional hitch pin hole in the basket's receiver tube in order to move the basket closer, to just beyond the spare when folded. With the drop it still rides plenty high behind the Jeep (I'm lifted) for venturing out on the beach through deep ruts in the sand. I also use it when we go camping.

I think your idea is a good one. The main limitation is interfering with the headlights when it's folded up and not knowing how far out it is in front of you when it's folded down. You might also be careful about carrying too much weight that far forward as it could impact your steering and control. Lastly if something did fall out of the basket or if straps worked themselves loose they could interfere with your drag link or cause steering concerns. I was watching a KOH video where a winch line had unspooled and gotten wrapped around the driveshaft... it didn't turn out well.

Hmmm as I think about it, carrying stuff up front does seem to have some disadvantages.
I moved it to the back receiver and I'm going to take your advice and drop it down so when folded down I can open tailgate. Thanks for everyone's opinion and I agree it looks better in back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Does this look stupid