Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Does made in the USA matter?

Old 04-08-2010, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Made In The USA is very important to me. I've said it in another thread and I'll say it again, I will go out of my way to buy USA made products.

Although... Chinese lead axels would be pretty flexy and repairs would consist of fishing weights and a blow torch.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I say stay true to your business model, made in America should mean something! The frustrating thing is that too many business leaders look to increase their margins by reducing labor costs (going overseas) and other aspects of the product suffer like quality, leadtime and customer support. Just my
Old 04-08-2010, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey

Sadly, built over seas and 20% cheaper does not mean lower quality. When it comes to automotives in general American Made = Shitty and expensive in comparison to other options on the market.

Overall, it is a global market. Something made in the USA does not always equal quality but often means more expensive, likewise, something made overseas does mean lower quaity but often does mean cheaper..

So it really depends on they part itself really.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flip the keyboard most of you are typing on and see where it was made.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:26 PM
dxu
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The product that offers the highest build quality, materials, and other assorted attributes is what matters the most IMHO. Yes it is a plus if the product is made in the USA and I do consider such products first but I work hard for my income and won't settle on sub-par products.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

For me it's about product quality and support. Given the same product from US or other, I would pay more for great support. That would consist of the following:

1. Purely English speaking, no heavy accent and I don't want to have to press anything for English.

2. Not having to "Prove" myself about purchase or damage.

3. Having to pay for return shipping for returning a product that was defective and not my fault for breaking.

I don't know about "Made in the USA" or not but if you focus on your customer service and stick to that, you will grow by leaps and bounds as your reputation will precede you. Just my 2cents.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:03 AM
JK Junkie

This thread makes me laugh.

"I only buy american products"

"I only buy canadian products"

"I only buy from local farmers"

I bet that most of you go to WalMart

A few years ago, one of my employee (a Belgian) told me how horrible was the Mc Donald's restaurant; destroyer of the amazon rainforest, etc...
A couple of week later, I saw him with his kid at Mc Donald's
We are human beings, and we are paradoxes.

You are not perfect, and I'm not perfect. Just do your best, but don't bullshit.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd rather see made in the usa , not assembled in
Old 04-09-2010, 03:39 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Yoda
This thread makes me laugh.

"I only buy american products"

"I only buy canadian products"

"I only buy from local farmers"

I bet that most of you go to WalMart

A few years ago, one of my employee (a Belgian) told me how horrible was the Mc Donald's restaurant; destroyer of the amazon rainforest, etc...
A couple of week later, I saw him with his kid at Mc Donald's
We are human beings, and we are paradoxes.

You are not perfect, and I'm not perfect. Just do your best, but don't bullshit.
When I have a choice, I don't buy "Made in China" goods. Not that I only buy USA goods, but I make a solid effort to buy products from countries where they have a living wage, and quality of life standards similar to those that I enjoy. There are several European and Eastern block countries that fit the bill with excellent quality goods and lower cost of production.

I look at Dynatrac, and I see a company situated on some of the most expensive dirt in the country. Local housing beyond the cost of what most of us think is affordable. Obviously, labor costs to match. There are literally hundred of other US markets to situate the company in, with skilled labor forces and reduced wages. Sourcing off shore is a cowards way out, and a ship has long since sailed as to providing real cost benefits when everything is taken into account.

Oh, and just to be clear I don't shop at Walmart with the lone exception of needing a pillow 7 years ago at 10pm while making my way to a 5 day music festival on a farm in pretty much the middle of no where.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:56 AM
JK Junkie

USA is a powerfull country. Why? Because american stores, restaurants and manufacturers are everywhere in all the other countries. THIS IS WHY USA is so powerfull.
Imagine the day that the Canadians, Italians, Japaneses, Chineses, etc decide to not buy american products The country will become very poor.
Therefore, I think that you have to protect the local economy, but you have to respect also the alien companies. Think about it.

Quick Reply: Does made in the USA matter?