Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Does made in the USA matter?

Old 04-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does made in the USA matter?

While not officially 'Modified JK Tech', this question is important to the users of this forum.

Comments in another forum have prompted me to ask the users of our products a question that could have a significant impact in how we build our products.

Comments are frequently made regarding the prices of our products (and pricing of many other products). Our business is constantly evolving and we strive to provide the best quality products available. We frequently try to analyze our customer’s needs and provide products to fill those needs.

Our business is based on the very simple philosophy of ‘Made in The USA’. We know for certain that the best quality materials and manufacturing skills are right here in the USA. We also want to support our country and not send American jobs to China, India, and many other foreign countries. So now, with our recent economy in the worst recession since the depression, we must ask- is ‘made in the USA’ still important to you?

Would you still buy lesser quality, overseas built, Dynatrac products if the price was 10%, 20%, or 30% cheaper? Would you buy more or less of our products if we went overseas to have our parts built? Is high product quality and supporting our country by providing jobs for our neighbors, worth some extra cost? Or is a low price the most important thing to you?

We are very interested in your feedback.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah same here...i look for made in usa...it has a tendencey to influence my decision
Old 04-08-2010, 03:00 PM
JK Jedi

If it means a sacrifice in quality than no. I would rather pay $500 for something that will take a beating and last a long time then buy something cheaper that is just not going to hold up.

I have been there done that. I actually end up spending more money when I do that as I have to replace it with a better made part that I should have gotten in the first place.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

American made means better customer sevrice ALWAYS... You will get to deal with a representative in the U.S. not some Asian person over seas. you decide what quality you want and like for your rig tho
Old 04-08-2010, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends upon how you want to market yourself. I have no problem buying Chinese made stuff for cheap. I know what I'm getting and I know I'm getting it cheap. (e.g. see my rear bumper and winch).

But what really frosts me, and I will absolutely not support is a company who pretends to be high end / high quality, but when you receive their product it says "made in china." For example, I just paid alot of money for my ARB lockers. If they showed up with a made in China sticker, I'd be PISSED.

I guess my point is that if you value your reputation for high end "exclusive" quality. Stay made in the US.

If you want to market yourself as just another company that makes cool offroad stuff, then go Chinese / India etc.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:05 PM
JK Super Freak

#1 Made In USA.
#2 Europe, specifically Germany. They just have a quality and pride in workmanship that is worth every penny.
#3 Other Overseas. I have done it, but regret it 9 times out of 10.

Regardless of price I am leaning more toward Made In USA.

And Thanks for even asking. Most manufacturers don't even care enough to check with their customers. They score the sales and deal with the backlash later.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I look for an American company that employs American citizens.

I do understand that often "parts" come from other places but I prefer to help our own.

I also believe the service and quality is better.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:12 PM
JK Jedi

I agree, I might go cheap on something like a seat cover, bumper, or accessory but when it comes to my suspension/drivetrain parts I want top notch quality.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac

Our business is based on the very simple philosophy of ‘Made in The USA’. We know for certain that the best quality materials and manufacturing skills are right here in the USA.
I had a response all typed to this and changed my mind for a simple answer.
no, just because you tell me you are the best means nothing, You have great products, market what you do well not statements that anyone could argue, Made in the USA as a marketing slogan does not go very far in the global market. this is just my opinion.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I have a red-handled axe on my Jeep. I looked all over for a red-handled axe. They are difficult to find. There are yellow ones and wood ones and green ones. I finally did find one at Lowe's (after finding several that I couldn't buy unless I have firefighter's credentials--go figure). So, I bought that axe. I would much rather have had a made in the USA axe--$80 versus the $30 that I paid--but that $80 was for firefighters only. Anyway, the axe I bought says "Made in China" right on the bottom of the handle. I know that the head was made in Taiwan--which is a little better (they do make good tools, though 99% of my extensive tool collection is USA-made). But, that Made in China thing is embarrassing. I plan to sand it off there. Can't stand it. Nuff said?

Quick Reply: Does made in the USA matter?