Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Don't knock Stock

Old 10-23-2010, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't knock Stock

I've had an 08 4-door for over 2 years... still mainly stock. I get flack every now and then from buddies for not having mods.

I just wanted to remind some people who forget that it cost serious $$$$ sometimes to mod. I'd love a new bumper, winch, lift and tires, but I've got a bills & a mortgage payment... and a wife. So, let's all be a little nicer to the stock JK drivers... at least we drive a Jeep!
Old 10-23-2010, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

I don't know when a Jeep crosses the line from Stock to Mod'd.

I've got stock tires (255/70R17) and suspension and I can attest to the ability of a stocky!

I'm sick of getting that sneer from some people around N. Chicago. They have lifted JKU's on 20 in rims, that look as clean as the day they bought it! I bet that lift and tire pkg is all they've done to it. Most of my mods are ones you can't see.

At first, I freaked out about my trail scratches on the paint and hard top, but now, it's a testament to what it's been through!

Once they see the scratches, mud stained fenders/bumpers, CB antenna and ORV sticker, maybe they'll know their place? haha
Old 10-23-2010, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

Hahaha I hear ya!
Old 10-23-2010, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by [M]IKE
I've had an 08 4-door for over 2 years... still mainly stock. I get flack every now and then from buddies for not having mods.

I just wanted to remind some people who forget that it cost serious $$$$ sometimes to mod. I'd love a new bumper, winch, lift and tires, but I've got a bills & a mortgage payment... and a wife. So, let's all be a little nicer to the stock JK drivers... at least we drive a Jeep!
X2
I am in the same boat!
That's why in my sig I have a "Wish list" instead of a mod list
Maybe one day... after I'll finish my mortgage, kids leave the house and etc, it's like only 20 years from now...

Seriously, I will love to have a nice moded Jeep, but I can barely afford a Sicker now thanks to my Jeep payments...
One day I will finish paying for it, and then!!!

I'm Stock and I wave! Hey, at least it's a Rubicon!

Last edited by A.R.X-D; 10-23-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

I plan on paying my JK off in two years, so no more big mods. A paid off JK will be the best mod I ever do!

Mod'd JK: "Nice Stock JK!"

Me: " It's a 2010, paid off, what about yours?"
Old 10-23-2010, 08:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Mine is mostly stock. It gets me where I need to go in fine form.
The only real mod is a front skid plate, which, several times, I was glad I installed.
I've spent much of the last several weeks in the western Maine woods/mountains.
I was able to get in to places where I passed by parked 4wd vehicles on the way.
Maybe they had more sense than I, but the stock Rubi handled the stuff with ease.
(Just so you know, I wasn't alone, and we were prepared to walk out, or stay put for three days/nights, if needed.)

Another thing: All the driving through the mountains on 50 mph paved roads (10% grades, or more) has changed the way the JK performs. It downshifts when needed without delay, and the up-shifts are "snappier". Shifting as it accelerates from a stop is better, too. Not as good as my friend's Superchipped JK Rubi, but significantly better than before.
I noticed the fuel shuts off when coasting down the steeper grades. I had tested for this a couple years ago, and it didn't do this. I wonder if this feature was included in the overall update they did when I brought it in for the "hot oil" recall.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Mine is mostly stock. It gets me where I need to go in fine form.
The only real mod is a front skid plate, which, several times, I was glad I installed.
I've spent much of the last several weeks in the western Maine woods/mountains.
I was able to get in to places where I passed by parked 4wd vehicles on the way.
Maybe they had more sense than I, but the stock Rubi handled the stuff with ease.
(Just so you know, I wasn't alone, and we were prepared to walk out, or stay put for three days/nights, if needed.)

Another thing: All the driving through the mountains on 50 mph paved roads (10% grades, or more) has changed the way the JK performs. It downshifts when needed without delay, and the up-shifts are "snappier". Shifting as it accelerates from a stop is better, too. Not as good as my friend's Superchipped JK Rubi, but significantly better than before.
I noticed the fuel shuts off when coasting down the steeper grades. I had tested for this a couple years ago, and it didn't do this. I wonder if this feature was included in the overall update they did when I brought it in for the "hot oil" recall.
Forgive my ignorance... are you saying that our JK's can learn from our driving habits?! If so, that's awesome!

I think I remember something about a "Learning behavior" in the Jeep Patriot.

Last edited by Fenrir; 10-23-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ilflyya
Forgive my ignorance... are you saying the our JK's can learn from our driving habits?! If so, that's awesome!

I think I remember something about a "Learning behavior" in the Jeep Patriot.
I believe the answer is Yes. I have read the transmission's computer is adaptive. What I have recently observed seems to support that.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is definitly a self learner, I have to coax it past dirt roads by promising some off road and ice cream later
Old 10-24-2010, 03:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should give your buddies a good laugh and get a "BONE STOCK" windshield banner made.

Quick Reply: Don't knock Stock