Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Downside of only getting the soft top?

Old 11-09-2006, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downside of only getting the soft top?

How good/bad is the softtop in the winter months? What about the rear window visibility?

This would be my first Jeep and I have no idea what to expect.

Will I miss having the hard top for the foul weather months?

I was originally thinking of getting only the hard top and than for the summer buying the soft top. How much is the soft top when bought separately?

Hard +$695
Dual +$1585
So the soft top should be $890, right?
Old 11-09-2006, 02:19 PM
JK Freak

Smile

I live in Wyoming and have a 2004 Unlimited with only the soft top, no problems here with the soft top and winter driving conditions, rear window is harder to clear though. Great heaters. Papabear, I am getting both tops.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

The soft top is about $1200 to buy seperately. I'm sure there will be cheaper options later, but for now there's only the one. I was originally going for just the hard top, but after seeing that I went with the dual top option.

Matt
Old 11-09-2006, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

Just speaking from my TJ experience with soft tops, I had no problems with it in Central Virginia winter, even with snow on it. In South Texas summers, the air conditioner held its own very well. "Hard top for winter months and soft top for summer months" is an advertising ploy to sell both tops. Get the one you like, or both!
Old 11-09-2006, 03:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

no downside in ohio either..

and the New JK soft top has 100X less road noise than my TJ with the sailcloth.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only downside I ever had running just the soft top in Buffalo Winters is scratching the plastic windows. It warmed up fine, was quiet but when ice etc built up no way to get it off without scratching those windows.

I ended up replacing them after 2 winters.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:24 AM
JK Newbie

i know my tj has always had a soft-top in md. winters and its fine. let the jeep heat up and crank the heater, and the windows clear nicely and all is well. dunno how the heaters will be in these new jks but i know there is nothing wrong with just getting a soft top and saving money on the dual top option.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by paroxysym
i know my tj has always had a soft-top in md. winters and its fine. let the jeep heat up and crank the heater, and the windows clear nicely and all is well. dunno how the heaters will be in these new jks but i know there is nothing wrong with just getting a soft top and saving money on the dual top option.
The heat is so strong that it's bordering on ridiculous. Not to mention the engine warms up really fast. I only run the heat at full hot till the needle starts moving on the temp guage. Or on mornings like this where it's 50 degrees with the sun rider top flipped back. I'll second the PITA statement about getting things in & out of the back in cold weather. That's the biggest reason I would consider a hard to at this point. The soft top is not drafty at all and it's really not very noisy. When the A/C is running I can hear the refrigerant evaporating behind the dash at highway speed.

Last edited by Ge99ne; 11-10-2006 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:03 AM
JK Newbie

What I question most is the $1595 Dual top option.

I mean, you are getting the soft top standard and now they want $1595 to add the hard top... it seems a little too much don't you think?
Old 11-10-2006, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

What I question most is the $1595 Dual top option.

I mean, you are getting the soft top standard and now they want $1595 to add the hard top... it seems a little too much don't you think?
You know, that's a REALLY GOOD POINT, I never considered that until now. Has anyone priced what the hard top cost seperately? If it is less than $1500 (unlikely), then it would be cheaper to order the standard Sunrider top on an Unlimited, and then buy the hard top seperately.

Very good point!!

Tom
Bryson City, NC

Quick Reply: Downside of only getting the soft top?