Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Drag racing the Jk?

Old 07-13-2010, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag racing the Jk?

One of my buddies keeps bugging me to go drag racing with him but he just doesn't understand that I own a wrangler... I'm thinking about doing it though but I'm afraid of blowing the motor. Anyone else tune their Jk and take it to the strip? If so, post your mods and times.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense, but this seems like a seriously bad idea. No reason to grenade your JK engaging in an activity it will so clearly suck at.

Last edited by JK-Tex; 07-13-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

Unless you're racing a snail, turtle, a beached whale, or molasses going uphill in the winter...you're going to lose.

IMO race your JK once, let him beat you (as if you have to really "let him") with his rice tuner (or whatever he has) then turn things around on him, take him to the mud pit or the rocky trail and then say "ok now, lets play MY game!"
Old 07-13-2010, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's what I was thinking. I'm sure atleast one person has done it. I think I'd try it if I did the hemi swap. Well, atleast once... Lol
Old 07-13-2010, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

I remember in Highschool I was riding with a friend in his big diesel truck. Some kid in a Honda Civic he riced up pulled up alongside us after school and was like "you wanna race!?" My friend was like "um...sure if we each agree to tow a 20 foot boat behind us"

The kid seemed to miss the point, a big engine doesnt always mean speed...torque to me is really where its all at!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

unless he's driving a chevette or k-car you don't stand a chance....... in fact even if he is you probably don't stand a chance. I think I've been passed by a Grandma.... walking.... in rubber boots..... on ice

I agree with the other guys race him through the mud pit, let him get a "head start" and make sure you forget your recovery gear at home!!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Sorry to hijack, but why does every guy in a 3/4 ton diesel pickup want to race these days? I'm being serious.

These guys are seriously horny to show off their fancy modern diesel engines. I see it all the time. They'll dash away from a stop light and leave an entire row of cars choking on black smoke. No doubt: modern diesels rock. But note to Mr. Truck Nuts: please stop feeling so insecure about your choice of steed.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:04 PM
JK Super Freak

agreed. i had a 7.3 before i got my jk. never understood why they think the excess deisel coming out of their exhaust was cool. had banks on mine but had it done properly.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:21 PM
JK Freak

I am one to know exactly what my vehicle is capable of. One of these things is that once or twice after the first oil change (once all the metal was out of it) I took it out to a very quiet portion of a rural highway and pretty much saw what she could do. I think I shifted at about 5.5K and I can say that when pushing out all 203 HP or whatever it is they are rated at the little 3.8 doesn't disappoint.

Granted I totally agree that just about any modern vehicle out there will likely beat the JK, but don't be worried about blowing the motor. Just make sure you are full of relatively fresh oil and BE SAFE (when drag racing this means GO TO A TRACK).
Old 07-13-2010, 12:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Just no.......

Quick Reply: Drag racing the Jk?