Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Driver's seat squeak fix.....(There is a Fix!)

Old 03-06-2015, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver's seat squeak fix.....(There is a Fix!)

For three years I have been listening to my front seat squeak. I lubed everything I could think of. But then I felt, it's a Jeep, deal with it! I have tried just about everything that I have found posted on this site and others. Yesterday I found a post on another jeep forum that fixes the issue. A fellow jeeper posted his fix for his 2014 JK.
I tried it last night.....and lo and behold, the seat is silent. Just need a Q-tip, and grease. Below is his write up and a link if you are in need of this fix. (I'm not in the habit of posting links to other jeep sites, but what the heck they are Jeeper's like us.)

the driver's seat in my new JK sounded like an old rocking chair. If I was crawling slow up an incline such as a driveway the seat would make a screeching noise like a rusty screen door. After reading numerous threads and not finding what I wanted I decided to take a look myself.

Tools needed for fix: Q-tip, NYE grease.

Having a new JK means that there are locations inside the cabin that have an abundance of grease to borrow for the fix. In my case I used a Q-tip to take a knot of grease from the rear seat latch where the front of the rear seat attaches to the floor (I have a 2 door).

Take your greased Q-tip with you over to the driver's side seat. Use the seat height adjuster to raise the seat up to its maximum height. Sorry I don't have pics for this. If you look under the seat there are a few points that hinge when the seat is raised and lowered. In particular is a hinge that is at the front-right (closest to the gas pedal) of the seat. It is at this point where the metal to metal rubbing happens causing the horrific squeak. On mine I could clearly see where the paint rubbed off at the hinge. Lower the seat while watching the hinged section close. It will appear all black. Raise the seat while watching the hinge and the unpainted section will reveal itself. With the seat raised all the way, place your grease at the hinge section where the paint is worn and where the two sections overlap. Lower and raise the seat a few times to distribute the grease evenly in the joint and you're done. This completely cured my squeak and took maybe 2 minutes. I'm going to go look and see if I can take some pics to post along with this.
Link to his write up and 2 pictures he posted.

Thank you rick92f!
The following users liked this post:
Tim the first (07-25-2020)
Old 10-17-2018, 03:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anymore info

My 2018 Jk seat is creaking. Trying everything but not much luck. Anyone else having this issue.

Quick Reply: Driver's seat squeak fix.....(There is a Fix!)