Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Driving in high winds

Old 04-26-2011, 10:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving in high winds

I've had my 2010 Jeep for 7 months now and thinks it's pretty cool, HOWEVER!!! I've driven it twice to Vegas now and can't stand it with the high winds. I don't feel comfortable driving over 60. Its all over the road and everyone passing me sucked. Anyway, my question is has any else experienced this and is there a way correct this? Will a lift and bigger tires help? Btw I'm driving a stock Sahara Unlimited. At this point, I will be renting a car anytime I have to drive to Vegas.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

you could always buy those Eibach lowering springs to stiffin the ride. You could add some 20" gold spokes to add to the look. But in all seriousness a wrangler is a sail boat that goes where the wind tells it to.

We just bought a Honda insight this weekend to combat against the rising gas prices and so far that's all we've driven. I got back in the JK today and I have to say I am not enjoying the ride. Compaired to a car that is low to the ground this thing is all over the place in the wind.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ByronG
I've had my 2010 Jeep for 7 months now and thinks it's pretty cool, HOWEVER!!! I've driven it twice to Vegas now and can't stand it with the high winds. I don't feel comfortable driving over 60. Its all over the road and everyone passing me sucked. Anyway, my question is has any else experienced this and is there a way correct this? Will a lift and bigger tires help? Btw I'm driving a stock Sahara Unlimited. At this point, I will be renting a car anytime I have to drive to Vegas.

I have driven to Vegas three times in mine, and I have to cross a lot more desert to get there. One of the times I came from your side, and it was actually better that time. It is less fun to drive in high winds, but mine is never "all over the road". It is as other people have said, a brick - not a feather. While it catches a lot of wind, it is also very heavy and as long as you are holding onto the steering wheel it tracks.

A lift and bigger tires will have the opposite effect. You will be higher, catch more wind and have more suspension travel. Unless you go for some extra heavy OME springs and leave it otherwise stock, maybe that would make it better. Just a characteristic of a wrangler, if you want a vehicle that can articulate - it is going to be more wobbly on the road. All "real" suv's with high clearance, good articulation, etc are going to have that to a degree.

If it bothers you enough that you will rent a vehicle, I would say your best option is to rent a vehicle. At $4+ gas in California you will be saving money on gas too.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

The winds here have been playing havoc with mine for the last two months. Multiple days of 20, 30, and even 40 mph... sustained. It got to where I just gave up and left the top on.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm so use to driving i'n the wind it don't even bother me anymore, it's always windy here i'n north Dakota
Old 04-27-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

We drive a brick, so the wind can have it's way with our Jeeps.

Lifting and larger tires make it worse, not better. It's just one of those things we have to put up with.

Which has always made me wonder why anyone would buy a 2WD Wrangler.... It's not comfortable, it gets blown around on windy days, it gets lousy mpg, and you can't take it out and play with it . So what's the point?

Sorry for the minor rant.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:48 AM
JK Freak

I live in the high desert where we have winds up to 60 mph gusts. Like the others said, there's not too much you can do. When it gets really bad, I'll pull off the freeway and take surface roads. Otherwise, I just slow down, pull in the far right lane and crank the music louder.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

As people have said before, adding a lift and bigger tires will make driving in the wind worse...

unless you are using the wind as an excuse to get a lift and bigger tires. Then these mods would definitely help by allowing the wind to go under the jeep. It would also increase lift making the jeep lighter as it sails down the highway resulting in better gas mileage.

Add new gears and you will probably be getting better mpg than a Prius.

For safety reasons you had better add steel bumpers and rock rails to protect you if someone crashes into you.

and a winch so you can help pull out all those stock jeeps that got blown into a ditch.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

I feel your pain, this is the only thing I don't like about my Jeep. I can't imagine what its like for people with 35's and 37's.

I didn't buy it for the highway, so I am willing to sacrifice. Cadillac on the dirt, POS on the highway.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I live in Kansas and its a daily fight at 30mph, 60 is just miserable.

Quick Reply: Driving in high winds