Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

E brake issues on JK's anyone!?

Old 01-26-2017, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E brake issues on JK's anyone!?

Hey! Almost at the 1 year anniversary of my first jeep purchase. You learn quick these vehicles aren't for everyone but I love it even more than I did the first day I took it home. I bought it used, still wasn't cheap, and I've done some minor repairs and replacements since I got it. One issue that I wish I would have spotted before buying is the e brake doesn't hold for SHIT. Have to park in gear. On a steep enough hill, like hill in Pittsburgh steep, jeep would creep down a pinch, then catch. With e brake and parked in gear. Took it to my local mechanic cuz the dealerships pressure you to change any part that's under 75% of its life and bend you over for it. He could not figure out a clean way to get it to fully grab. W/ new parts he ordered. Came up with his own way to make it better, but said the e brake system on the newer jeeps is a joke. Sounds like the manufacturers wanna make it hard on the local guys so you have to overpay back at the car store! Anyone having similar issues??
Old 01-26-2017, 03:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This issue is well known. The e brake system barely works on stock tires. Your lucky if it will actually stop the Jeep on flat ground.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
This issue is well known. The e brake system barely works on stock tires. Your lucky if it will actually stop the Jeep on flat ground.
it got to the point where it would still roll on the slightest grade. Do bigger tires hold it better? I'm slim on mechanical knowledge
Old 01-26-2017, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I took mine to the dealership about a year ago and it has worked great ever since. I'm not sure if they replaced something on top of tightening it or what, but it works crazy good now. It used to not work at all.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by zhanczar27
it got to the point where it would still roll on the slightest grade. Do bigger tires hold it better? I'm slim on mechanical knowledge
The brakes have less power on bigger tires.

Regarding the parking brake...

Mine holds well on the 4th click; 5th click if it's on a steep grade.
The last time I adjusted it was 4½ years ago when I replaced the rear brake pads and rotors.

It's the same design as everyone else's, so it can't be a design problem. I do wish it were a simpler system, though.

Is yours working now, after your mechanic fixed it?
Which parts did he change? Also, what did he come up with for a custom fix?
Old 01-26-2017, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MrChuckles
I took mine to the dealership about a year ago and it has worked great ever since. I'm not sure if they replaced something on top of tightening it or what, but it works crazy good now. It used to not work at all.
did they charge you an arm and a leg?
Old 01-26-2017, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The brakes have less power on bigger tires. Regarding the parking brake... Mine holds well on the 4th click; 5th click if it's on a steep grade. The last time I adjusted it was 4½ years ago when I replaced the rear brake pads and rotors. It's the same design as everyone else's, so it can't be a design problem. I do wish it were a simpler system, though. Is yours working now, after your mechanic fixed it? Which parts did he change? Also, what did he come up with for a custom fix?
It took him hours to figure something out.
Better part of a day. He was pissed cuz he's been working on cars for 40 something years. He explained how these e brake systems work and it sounds complex. Apparently when my brake handle was all the way down, the system at some point just disconnected with the wheel? Thus rendering it useless. Up or down. He rigged a piece of rubber hose at the bottom of the e brake handle slot so I can't push it down completely, just enough that the light doesn't come on. He adjusted the system "up," but still couldn't get it to hold the wheel tight enough to hold the vehicle by itself. Said maybe a bent brake line? He put in new e brake levers, actuators, rear disk brakes. So the handle is tight again. Holds way better, when parked in gear with the brake, however i haven't tried it on a steep hill yet. I suppose that will be the true test.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

He didn't really fix your problem if there's a piece of hose hanging out under your handle. With it being an 09 (profile not filled out, so I'm guessing) you may have stretched cables. There has been a couple of part number revisions between then and now. Potentially replacing those cables and ensuring the equalizer under the center console is adjusted properly should fix you up.

Yes the system sucks, no it's not impossible to get right.

Reading material for you about the topic....

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-study-135255/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...usting-122492/

Last edited by karls10jk; 01-26-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't done this myself, yet. But I plan to as soon as I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ag5OO4d_B0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHf6Eyxn2ok
Old 01-27-2017, 06:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zhanczar27
did they charge you an arm and a leg?
Nope. They only charged me parts because they were working on my brakes. My dealership is pretty great though. The other ones I have went to suck.

Quick Reply: E brake issues on JK's anyone!?