Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

E85

Old 09-24-2008, 02:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E85

Can we burn E85?
Can we mod it do so? Its $2.99 a gallon 'round here!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our hoses and computer are not setup to burn and pass through e85. The ethanol can wear at the rubber and also is equal to 105 octane. Not sure if we have aluminum or iron block engines but on GM Trucks the e85 vehicles usually have an iron block as well.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

As mentioned before your 3.8L is not E85 ready as is. Not sure there is a mod or not but...

You can do a search on google and find alot of articles comparing the mileage people receive with E85 vs. Gasoline. The consensus seems to be that you will get enough MORE miles per gallon on Gasoline to outweigh any price differential.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

A good example:

http://w w w.edmunds.com/advice/alternativefuels/articles/120863/article.html
Old 09-24-2008, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I really wish we would stop using ethanol period. Its part of the reason food prices are up. They are using all the corn to product the ethanol. Just about every processed food or candy or soft drink is made with High fructose corn syrup.

As was also posted above you get lower gas mileage with it and the only reason it is cheaper is the government is subsidizing it.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

From what I have read, even though it's cheaper, you get worse gas mileage with E85, so it's not saving you any money in the long run.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:45 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by derff96963
I really wish we would stop using ethanol period. Its part of the reason food prices are up. They are using all the corn to product the ethanol. Just about every processed food or candy or soft drink is made with High fructose corn syrup.

As was also posted above you get lower gas mileage with it and the only reason it is cheaper is the government is subsidizing it.
That is my exact thought on E85....it is just increasing costs for groceries with the use of Corn and to top it off you get worse fuel economy.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by derff96963

you must own stock in an oil company! the truth is any grain or sugar cane or sugar beets can be used to make alcohol. Potatoes, left overs, trash,soybean, peas, culled fruits and just about anyother foodstuff can be used as well. Corn is curently the grain of choice among distillers. Our country has given away many tons of grains to foreign interests over the years. No shortaages of corn due to distillation. True ethanol is not getting as good fuel milage as gas. My g/f is using e85 in her Chevy Impala. She gets about two miles per gal less on E85 as on regular unleaded (which by the way has 10% ethanol) l' d be glad to run E85 in my Jeep. There are several manufaturers making kits to use in any vehicle from 1981 to present.

I will be glad to pay $2.99 a gal over $3.75 any day of the week. When I get 36,000 miles on my Jeep one of these kits will be on my Jeep. Yes, rubber hose will do funky things when used with E85. I will be going with steel lines myself. You are using rubber with 10% ethanol now so you are ruining the rubber parts in your fuel lines now.

As bad as we need alernate sources of fuel for our country and ya'll want to keep giving your money to those towelheads instead of supporting American Farmers and busineses in their attempt to free us from enslavement to foreign oil.

As far as subsidies the government has been paying farmers not to grow things as long as I remember and I remember back a very long time. So put that in your foreign oil warlords pipe and let him smoke on that awhile.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Woah, Well said.
I grew up in the middle of "corn country" (IL) So Im with ya.

I know it burns hotter.. Just concerned a 'lil about the long term effects (other than rubber parts) on an
engine that was not designed for it.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:16 PM
JK Super Freak

For someone who wasn't sure or asked... iron block and aluminum heads.... Mixing the two is not optimal or the best way to go so adding the heat of burning e85 on top of that.... I'd be concerned.

Quick Reply: E85