Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

ECU Police Ticketed me for my wheels

Old 08-26-2008, 05:59 AM
aas
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Police Ticketed me for my wheels

East Carolina University's police ticketed me for my orange wheels :(. I've driven with them on for 25,000+ miles without incident (they also go off-road with me). They said I was sporting red emergency lights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDotym7bH3k
Old 08-26-2008, 06:03 AM
JK Junkie

wait... red emergency light??? wheels??
they pulled you over for the mud on your wheels?

EDIT TO ADD... nevermind, just saw the video

EDIT TO FURTHER ADD... uh... nevermind
Old 08-26-2008, 06:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Find the statute on the ticket. Look it up. Fight it in court. No matter what plead not guilty.

Question. East Carolina University police? What are these, rent a cops, or real cops.

Is it an official State ticket with a court date and docket number and violation statute listed? Or is it some private rent a cop security company, just send in the money ticket?
Old 08-26-2008, 06:12 AM
aas
JK Enthusiast

They're "real" cops now. The lights are orange. See the YouTube video that's at the bottom of the picture. I put a ton of time and effort into designing those things.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Most college campuses in NC have their own real police units, i went to UNC-W and we had at least 10 cops. They are locally trained and hold all the same abilities as street cops.

I can't watch youtube at work, so I'm going to assume his wheels light up and make a design when moving. Your lucky a normal street cop hasn't pulled you for that yet in NC. At the very least they can cite you for distraction to other drivers.

Last edited by ranwitscissorz; 08-26-2008 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:27 AM
aas
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ranwitscissorz
Most college campuses in NC have their own real police units, i went to UNC-W and we had at least 10 cops. They are locally trained and hold all the same abilities as street cops.

I can't watch youtube at work, so I'm going to assume his wheels light up and make a design when moving. Your lucky a normal street cop hasn't pulled you for that yet in NC. At the very least they can cite you for distraction to other drivers.
§ 20‑130.2. Use of amber lights on certain vehicles.

All wreckers operated on the highways of the State shall be equipped with an amber‑colored flashing light which shall be so mounted and located as to be clearly visible in all directions from a distance of 500 feet, which light shall be activated when at the scene of an accident or recovery operation and when towing a vehicle which has a total outside width exceeding 96 inches or which exceeds the width of the towing vehicle. It shall be lawful to equip any other vehicle with a similar warning light including, but not by way of limitation, maintenance or construction vehicles or equipment of the Department of Transportation engaged in performing maintenance or construction work on the roads, maintenance or construction vehicles of any person, firm or corporation, Radio Emergency Associated Citizens Team (REACT) vehicles, and any other vehicles required to contain a warning light. (1967, c. 651, s. 2; 1973, c. 507, s. 5; 1977, c. 464, s. 34; 1979, c. 1; c. 765; 1981, c. 390; 1991, c. 44, s. 1.)
Old 08-26-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

So does this mean semi's with oarnge/red signs are illegal too?

Tell the court attorney to drop it. If he doesnt, take it all the way to jury. For one, those are not lights and the wording has nothing to do with safety.

Were the "cops" on bycycles? Hehehe.....
Old 08-26-2008, 06:37 AM
JK Jedi Master

i would have written you a ticket too.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by aas
maintenance or construction vehicles or equipment of the Department of Transportation engaged in performing maintenance or construction work on the roads, maintenance or construction vehicles of any person, firm or corporation, Radio Emergency Associated Citizens Team (REACT) vehicles, and any other vehicles required to contain a warning light.
So which one of those did you fall into? I don't think a social networking website constitutes maintenance, construction, emergency or requiring of a warning light...

Last edited by ranwitscissorz; 08-26-2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

No way are you legal on the highway in any state with that setup. Youv'e been lucky to go that many miles and this is your first ticket. Not trying to hate on ya with this. Its the same boat as neon or those LED washer lights.

You can only drive off-road with that kind of stuff on. Even KC lites, Hella, IPF, etc must have covers in most states as to render them unusable while the vehicle is on motion on public roads.

Quick Reply: ECU Police Ticketed me for my wheels