Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

ECU Police Ticketed me for my wheels

Old 08-26-2008, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In PA that would fall under "ornamental" lighting which is NOT legal,, but does look cool! You would so get a ticket by a ST. Trooper up here.. but does look cool..
Old 08-26-2008, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry man, you deserve that ticket. Just because you've driven for so long with them doesn't make them legal, it just makes you very lucky.

Are you able to toggle them on/off while driving? Pair that with a cop scanner and you could toggle them off when it starts beeping. Just a thought.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
i would have written you a ticket too.
same here

you would not get 3 blocks here in NY with those on your wheels before getting a few tickets that's for sure
Old 08-26-2008, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piginajeep
i would have written you a ticket too.

I agree
Old 08-26-2008, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jeep should say socialdistraction.com......people have already have enough distractions on the road and cant drive for crap, they dont need to see that driving down the road. It is kind of funny it took a campus cop to finally ticket you though.

I agree you deserved the ticket, sorry!
Old 08-26-2008, 07:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't looked up the statutes here in NC. I know that I used to work next to a sty and I asked a LEO one day if those blue washer lights were legal. He said yes. I had always heard you can't have blue lights or red lights, etc. to keep from impersonating emergency vehicles, etc. Told him that and he still said yes.

That of course does not mean he was correct. But it illustrates the fact that they don't care. I see those blue light washer things everywhere. I also see the blue led valve stems everywhere (which has an effect similar to yours though not as dramatic.) I once had a friend with a muscle car that was pulled over for having the blue dot tail lights. That were factory installed in the late 60s. Didn't help that he was showing off what the 440 would do.

I think your wheels are probably technically illegal. I think you could get away with it in 80% of the state of NC without a second glance. Your luck just ran out. It was probably going to happen eventually.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Come to Florida where nobody gives a sh!t if you want to drive with those things going. I do think that they are distracting though. I can see the inherent danger for people who can't even walk while chewing gum let alone drive while shaving on the cell phone when these things come by. Just turn them off when you're on road, man!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

Blue lights anywhere on the vehicle are illegal in all states, i can say that with almost 99% surety.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

I agree with most of the other replies.
You're lucky you're only now getting a ticket.
That setup is great for the show, but not for on the go!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:21 AM
JK Freak

WTF is that?! Why would you put that on your Jeep???

Quick Reply: ECU Police Ticketed me for my wheels