Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Electronic Rust Inhibitor

Old 01-28-2012, 04:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Rust Inhibitor

Has anyone got any experience with these? I've had my 2011 JKUR sprayed with Krown rust protection, however, Heeps are notorious for rusting. I will continue to get it sprayed yearly, and shoot any skids/scraps with Rustoleum.

Do these electronic inhibitors really work. Supposedly they send out negatively charged ions, and the metal are positive...therefore they nuetralize each other Stealership wants $699.00. I found one at an AutoParts store for $299.00. Can't be to hard to hook them up...just a couple of wires.

Post up if you have one...Pros/Cons. I'm a little OCD when it comes to rust as I live in an area where the roads are landbased with rock salt for 4 months of the year.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my 07 in November I had the dealer fix all the small rusted areas (door hinges and paint chips) and install an electronic rust inhibitor. A friend of mine has used them in the past and swears by them. My father-in-law also has one installed on his 98 F-150 and its rust free so I figured what the hell. I'm into my JK for the long haul so I want it to last.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These have been around for years. My father is a retired mechanic (30 yr buis owner) and use to sell/install these quite often. It is def a good idea if your in an area that uses a lot of salt in the winter. If you already have rust, it will slow it down but not cure it from continuing...
Old 01-28-2012, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by action.is.go
Has anyone got any experience with these? I've had my 2011 JKUR sprayed with Krown rust protection, however, Heeps are notorious for rusting. I will continue to get it sprayed yearly, and shoot any skids/scraps with Rustoleum.

Do these electronic inhibitors really work. Supposedly they send out negatively charged ions, and the metal are positive...therefore they nuetralize each other Stealership wants $699.00. I found one at an AutoParts store for $299.00. Can't be to hard to hook them up...just a couple of wires.

Post up if you have one...Pros/Cons. I'm a little OCD when it comes to rust as I live in an area where the roads are landbased with rock salt for 4 months of the year.
The systems I have looked at are impressed current cathodic protection systems with sacrafical anodes. Iron corrodes due to the loss of electrons so a less noble metal is used as a anode and a current charge is used drive the electrons from the anode to the cathode (iron). this is simplified but it is basically how it works. Outboard motors have used galvanic anodes for a long time for protection and larger boats / ships use impressed current.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

That's for the input. Norust yet except where I've rub control arms and skids. Plan to wire wheel the surface rust off and hit with rustoleum. Like was said by Cozmik I'm into my JK for the long haul so it's worth the time invested for reasearching the products out there and pulling the trigger.

Any particular units I should look at over others. I know Jeep stealerships are upselling the Tri-care units. $699.00 with install. Canadian tire has a unit for $299.00...do they all work the same or not? Install can't take 3hrs .

Last edited by action.is.go; 01-28-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have it i stalled on my 2010 and sure I still see a crap load of surface rust but we will we in the long run. Nice thing if you buy it from dealership they give you life time warranty on the rust.
I used to do Krown rust proofing on my yj and it did shit all other than causing a shit load it mess.
Jeeps are doomed are no matter what!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by action.is.go
I just got a new jeep and am trying to figure out the best rust protection to use on it. Does anyone know the difference between Krown and other products?
Old 06-18-2014, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

I keep going back and forth between what the best rust protection is for my car because the weather conditions and the salt on the roads in Toronto just destroys my car. I've recently been looking into the electronic rust protection but I'm a little bit skeptical.

I found a great article in the globe and mail (http://www.theglobea.../article535224/) showing how overpriced the erp's are when the dealer sells them. so i decided to check out the krown blog to hear their thoughts on electronic rust proofing (Thinking of Electronic Rust Protection? Think again..) and came across the list of products recommended by the Automobile Protection Agency - thought I should post it here for folks:

http://www.apa.ca/se...ustproofing.asp

They give a pretty good run-down on how dealers profit but drivers are overcharged with these devices. They also list some trusted rustproofers from Canada.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to try rustoleum spray on inhibitor. Its a clear coating that sprays a film.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

If anyone was interested in the article I was mentioning above about electronic rust protection it's from Thinking of Electronic Rust Protection? Think again..

Quick Reply: Electronic Rust Inhibitor