Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Engine oil cap missing

Old 04-24-2008, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Explain to the service manager You were out on the trails,and see if he'll give You a FREE oil system flush from Wynns . What they do is remove the oil filter hook up a machine that has an external filter. run a cleaner in the oil system, engine running 15-20 min . drain oil turn a pump on drain another pint or so Do a LOF and and add an oil additive .
Old 04-24-2008, 09:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the dealer doesn't wanna do much, but they do offered a free oil change next time I come in, but serious, I won't go back, just don't make me feel comfortable.

Oil level is good and looks clear, should I change the oil just in case? There is dust inside the cap opening tho
Old 04-24-2008, 10:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you'll be ok. At the low speeds you were likely going on the trail, the engine probably had positive crankase pressure. Meaning that there was slight blowby coming out of the valve cover. This would likely have kept anything from going into the engine. At higher engine speeds, the PCV system will be pulling a vacuum on the crankcase. Consider yourself lucky not to have lost much oil. I'd certainly let the dealer do whatever you can get out of them......hell, just get a refund, a new cap and change it yourself. It'll be done right.

Quick Reply: Engine oil cap missing