Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Pick which is most relevent to you right now.
Yes
23.03%
No
76.97%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Environmental Concerns

Old 03-19-2008, 05:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustoff '68
If you had to make a choice, would you forego all modifications to your JK, leave her stock, and off road her as she comes from the factory, all in the interest of gas mileage improvements and reducing fuel costs, as well as saving what Green is left in America?
Although I love this earth and do what I can to keep it nice (pick up trash, etc.) I will not "mod" my transportation and entertainment to make it eco friendly...

every time a tree hugger says that I pollute in my giant SUV... i burn a tire... special interest groups piss me off

Last edited by 07JKX; 03-19-2008 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

Here's a green solution. Live where you work. For some reason I can't figure out, many people in the tidewater region live on the opposite side of the river. There's always a glut of traffic rolling through the tunnels in the morning & afternoon. How much energy does this waste? I know some people can't help it, due to 2 income families, or caring for relatives, etc. Still, it's very heavy 5 days a week. I was one of the people doing this 5 years ago. Now my wife and I both live within 6 mile of our workplaces. That's my green decision. We recycle, combine trips( every trip is multipurpose with 2 kids), & use the soft serve lightbulbs .I'm keeping mine as long as is practical. As Putnam pointed out, there's green value in keeping a vehicle 10 years too.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:54 AM
JK Freak

Nothing slanted about it....you either are extremely concerned with gas mileage and environmental impact in which case you will buy some sort of pig caca flex fuel vehicle, or you say to hell with all that green talk, and gimme' a JK with a half a ton or more of add on accessories so I can pose real good in Nags Head... mileage and fuel costs be damned...it's not rocket science...just decide which and what represents you and your thinking.
Oh yeah, I forgot. The post above does show your slant. There's some middle ground between extremely concerned or saying the hell with the environment. And while I can (and do) run around on the beachs of Nags Head fine with my stock Jeep, that isn't the only place I wheel. So when I show up there with skid plates & steel bumpers next year, it's not to look pretty, it's to keep the body in the shape of a jeep when I'm in the mountains on the rocks.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07JKX
Although I love this earth and do what I can to keep it nice (pick up trash, etc.) I will not "mod" my transportation and entertainment to make it eco friendly...

every time a tree hugger says that I pollute in my giant SUV... i burn a tire... special interest groups piss me off
It's like we're cut from the same cloth!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:43 AM
JK Super Freak

When I bought my Jeep I knew what the gas mileage would be. If I was purchasing a vehicle to be green, I would have bought a Prius. We are very conscious about what we do and try to recycle as much as possible. I feel that a Jeep is a Jeep and you pay the price for it.

My wife and I commute together everyday and cover 105 miles everyday. We looked at a Civic for commuting but felt that for the amount of time that we spend in the car we shuld really enjoy what we are travelling in. The Jeep satisfied both of us and we could not be happier. Well... maybe whenit gets warm enought to take the top off. Can't wait!!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ge99ne
Here's a green solution. Live where you work. For some reason I can't figure out, many people in the tidewater region live on the opposite side of the river...
I lived in Virginia Beach until a year ago. It's so true!!! Whether the river, or the bay. Tons commute from Hampton to Norfolk/Virginia Beach.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:23 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by 07JKX
Just tell those Tree Hugger's that have issues with your JK

"HUG A LOGGER YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK TO TREES"

I run into many tree huggers and enviro freak's everyday on my job as a forester. I drive my big modified Diesel Truck.. and I hear the comments about my truck and heavy machinery equipment polluting and that all forest companies are killing all the old growth forests, removing Species At Risk habitat, not planting trees....etc.

I just let them know that Forest Companies like the one I work for build roads for tree hugger's like them to gain backcountry access to lakes, alpine area's for hiking, camping, skiing, etc. Also, I just comment on how they get to these prestine backcountry area's? I would say 90% would say a Jeep or SUV that sucks back fuel like my Big Diesel. I will still be driving and modifying my jeep and truck's to ensure I get to my job sites and enjoy the backcountry with my family as well enjoy my ride.

I try and do my part with the environment, I work with other professionals in my field (biologist, geologist and other foresters) to ensure we are protecting all values: (Social, Economic & Environmental). I try to ensure we are meeting the Forest and Environmental Acts and regulations to ensure a continuous, diverse & growing forest ecosystem for future generations to enjoy.

However, some days it's difficult to balance all these values with different sites, stands, forest health issues & geographical locations. Some decisions I make social and economic values are more significant over the environmental values. That's society !
Old 03-19-2008, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Angry Green

The whole "GREEN" movement is crap. I am sick to death of having this shoved down my throat when there is absolutly no scientific consensus on "Climate Change" other than Al Gore crying over the Earth while swimming in his pool that uses more electricity than my house. The research and development of so called alternative fuel sources leaves a bigger "CARBON FOOTPRINT" than what we're currently using.

Yes, I know I'm on a rant. Sorry. My new bumper sticker:

War for oil? G@dd#mn right! My Jeep doesn't run on democracy.

Bombguy2336
08 red ruby Sahara
Waiting on re-enlistment bonus for the carnage to begin
Old 03-19-2008, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Apology accepted

I figured I wasn't seeing something straight!

Back into the discussion:

My wife and I travel to work together, I drop her off along the way...I never figured out the savings when we started doing this but I can't imagine ever going back to both of us driving separately. If our darn house would sell we would move much closer to the area we are working or somewhere between the areas we both work...but that's a whole other topic!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:39 AM
JK Newbie

I voted no because I believe the statement contain a logical error as well as drastic oversimplifications. Not trying to be insulting at all, I just don't think there is a real strong correlation between leaving my JK stock and saving the what's left of the green parts of America. As others have mentioned, changing out your incandescent light bulbs would do more good. I'm always open to ways to save energy and not pollute personally though, however the answer is not the crap legislation we frequently see pandering to certain groups (typically far left).

Quick Reply: Environmental Concerns