Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Pick which is most relevent to you right now.
Yes
23.03%
No
76.97%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Environmental Concerns

Old 03-18-2008, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Environmental Concerns

If you had to make a choice, would you forego all modifications to your JK, leave her stock, and off road her as she comes from the factory, all in the interest of gas mileage improvements and reducing fuel costs, as well as saving what Green is left in America?
Old 03-18-2008, 04:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, in reality, leaving our Jeeps stock would do very little in the way of "saving what Green is left in America". I come from a very environmentally active household and when my wife isn't actually working for an environmental group, she's spending her free time volunteering for one. But, saving our environment goes way beyond oil and becoming independent from oil goes way beyond the difference between a stock Jeep and a built up one.

Honestly, you'd do more good by changing out the lightbulbs in your home.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:07 PM
JK Super Freak

I will probably keep my Jeep stock. Not for environmental reasons, but because it will do what I like to do in stock configuration. I do plan to use a Hypertech programer and change my exhaust, but thats about it for a while.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Go ride a bike up and down a hill.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This poll is a bit slanted. Do you work for the DNC?
Old 03-18-2008, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blue
This poll is a bit slanted. Do you work for the DNC?

Nothing slanted about it....you either are extremely concerned with gas mileage and environmental impact in which case you will buy some sort of pig caca flex fuel vehicle, or you say to hell with all that green talk, and gimme' a JK with a half a ton or more of add on accessories so I can pose real good in Nags Head... mileage and fuel costs be damned...it's not rocket science...just decide which and what represents you and your thinking.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hell no. The Earth is a renewable resource. The bunny huggers ain't figured that out yet.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:13 PM
JK Jedi

This thread makes more sense now that I've read what spawned it... (from another thread)

Originally Posted by Dustoff '68
Originally Posted by SpudRacer

OK, you've stated your opinion. You are one of many, each with their own opinion. Personally I disagree with you. There, now I've stated mine too.

Mileage may not mean much to you, but don't you dare speak for the rest of us. Why not start a poll to see how many of us care about mileage as the gas prices soar, you'll likely find yourself standing alone on your side of the fence.

Tom
Bryson City, NC

You're way off base Spud...if Wrangler owners REALLY cared about gas mileage and how we can preserve what GREEN is left, they would NEVER buy and install upwards of a thousand pounds or more of tyres, steel bumpers, skids, roof racks, wheels, etc....there you go pal...I dared and I did.
Let's not get too heated about this. My guess is that most of us want it all-- we want to build up our Jeeps, pay less at the pump and help preserve the environment. These things don't need to be exclusive from each other.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Ahhhh....

Originally Posted by doojer
This thread makes more sense now that I've read what spawned it... (from another thread)

Let's not get too heated about this. My guess is that most of us want it all-- we want to build up our Jeeps, pay less at the pump and help preserve the environment. These things don't need to be exclusive from each other.
Unfortunately, what we want, and what is possible, are mutually exclusive...for the moment, it is one or the other...I know that off road enthusiasts are probably in the extreme minority when it comes to environmental impact issues, but because we are in the minority, it would take very little to legislate draconian restrictions of off road activities on public lands...to say with absolute assertion that we, as a group, are concerned with fuel consumption and cost issues, while strapping on a half ton or more of accessories is, at best, a contradiction...I'm sure the overwhelming majority of us want it all, but it just ain't so right now...the temptations are just to great to take that very capable JK and turn it into what many in our society as a monster. Food for thought...
Old 03-18-2008, 07:36 PM
JK Jedi

I totally agree that having all three at the moment is not a choice. But, it definitely can be-- and whether or not we mod our Jeeps has very little bearing on the end result. So the point is that, while it is not possible to avoid the gas prices at the moment, it is possible to work towards lower gas prices while simultaneously building up the meanest Jeep on the block. Just as it is possible, and common, for one to care about the environment, be active in its protection and still go out and wheel a mean looking Jeep.

More food for thought!

Quick Reply: Environmental Concerns