Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Erg code questions

Old 12-28-2013, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Erg code questions

my jeep has been throwing a code on and off for about 3 months now and every time id get it looked at, the check engine light would be off. well i got it checked and the P0404, ERG Positioning code appeared. i have a couple of questions... 1) what exactly is this code? 2) how bad is it that ive been driving with this issue? 3) is this covered under any warranty? thanks a lot folks!!!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the egr code is a emission related part. from what i read it is not covered under warranty. there is a write up on herehttps://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...-p0406-127376/

Last edited by aftahour; 12-29-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyhfd
my jeep has been throwing a code on and off for about 3 months now and every time id get it looked at, the check engine light would be off. well i got it checked and the P0404, ERG Positioning code appeared. i have a couple of questions... 1) what exactly is this code? 2) how bad is it that ive been driving with this issue? 3) is this covered under any warranty? thanks a lot folks!!!
You can do some troubleshooting with the list of causes below. Most people end up changing the valve to fix any of the EGR codes.

The EGR valve is covered only under the basic 3 year/36,000 mile warranty, unless you purchased an extended warranty.

Here is some info for the code you have:

[h=2]P0404-EGR POSITION SENSOR RATIONALITY OPEN[/h]

[h=4]Theory of Operation[/h]
The EGR valve has a position sensor and the EGR position rationality is designed to make sure that the valve moves freely within its operating range. Closed valve position reference check verifies that the valve is within its allowable upper and lower limits. The EGR position rationality test looks for a sustained error relative to commanded valve position.
  • When Monitored: Engine running.
  • Set Condition: The EGR flow or valve movement is not what is expected. A rationality error has been detected fro the EGR Close Position Performance. Two trip fault.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: center"]Possible Causes
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (K34) EGR SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (F856) 5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (K35) EGR SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"](K900) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"](Z906) EGR SOLENOID GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]EGR SOLENOID ASSEMBLY
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Quick Reply: Erg code questions