Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Feels like I'm searching for a pot of gold

Old 09-26-2013, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feels like I'm searching for a pot of gold

I'm not sure what my exact plan is in this search, but it seems like I'm looking for a pot of gold! I am trying to find a JKU with auto trans and less than a million miles for under $20k. In SE Louisiana, that doesn't seem to exist. I have extended out my search, but I don't know if my criteria is too selective or I am too cheap, or maybe a little of both! I had an 07 JKU 2WD that I sold (I couldn't live with the thought of a 2wd Jeep any longer), and I fell in love the flame Red. I blacked out everything on a budget, and it was one hell of a looking ride, even though I couldn't take it through puddle! I sold it to buy the wife a new car and I have had the itch ever since.

I know budgets and Jeeps don't go together, but I have busted my ass in my life to be debt free except for my house, but I feel like I am going to hyperventilate when I look to see how much they are asking for Jeeps right now. It also seems like Kelley Blue Book has gone off of the deep end with their pricing recommendations.

I keep having to tell myself to have patience and be ready to pull the trigger when the right JKU comes along. I just don't want that to be when I'm 70!!!

I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate reading through this forum. It is encouraging to see everyone out there "living the dream"! I am trying to get all of my ducks in a row so I can jump right in there with all of you.

Enough of the rant. I'll go back to reading and learning and looking for the right Jeep to come along!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default Which year should I focus on?

Does anyone have recommendations on which model year I should focus on? Is there a significant enough improvement on the model from 07 to 08-09 for me to focus on those years, or do you guys think I should pull the trigger on an 07 if I find a decent one? Thanks!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:55 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

If you are looking at an auto I would go 2012+
Old 09-26-2013, 08:57 PM
JK Newbie

Default Auto only in 12+?

Is there a specific reason to only look for auto transmission in '12 and up? I have always been a change my own oil kind of guy, but aside from that, I am pretty dense in car talk. I am great at what I do for a living, but unfortunately it isn't knowing a lot about cars!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:59 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

The 12 has a new engine and new 5 speed transmission with much better gearing in it. The old 4 speed transmission in the 07-11 was really geared poorly for the 3.8 You will get much better performance and fuel economy out of it.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default Gearing?

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The 12 has a new engine and new 5 speed transmission with much better gearing in it. The old 4 speed transmission in the 07-11 was really geared poorly for the 3.8 You will get much better performance and fuel economy out of it.
This is a bummer to hear because all I see is $$$ when I see 2012, but I definitely appreciate the advice.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:11 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Test drive a manual and auto in the 3.8 and you will see the difference. You will really notice it in first gear and in overdrive.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Test drive a manual and auto in the 3.8 and you will see the difference. You will really notice it in first gear and in overdrive.
Will do. It may be more advisable for me to teach the wife how to drive a standard than to go for the convenience of auto trans... She'd only drive it once in a blue moon, if ever, but I'd have to polish the turd and promise her that I'd teach her how to drive one! She has the fever as bad as I do, and it would kill her to have to always ride shotgun!!! HA

I've found a couple of standards that seemed like decent deals but I looked past them because of the knee-jerk reaction to get auto trans. in case the wife needed to drive. I am definitely going to test drive an auto and standard and pay close attention in 1st and OD to see what I can feel.

Thanks so much!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:26 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Keep an eye out on axle gearing as well. Stay away from the 3.21 gears and if you can find one, some 2007 came with 4.10 gears in the non rubi models. All rubicons came with 4.10 gears until 2012 when 3.73 became standard on them.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:35 PM
JK Newbie

10-4. 3.21 gears bad. I am probably not going to be able to afford getting into a Rubi, but I will definitely keep an eye open for that when I am shopping. If I am in a "worst case scenario", that isn't too terrible expensive of a mod, is it? I look through my JK parts catalogs that I still get and I don't recall those being too $$$, but I could be mistaken.

Quick Reply: Feels like I'm searching for a pot of gold