Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Few noob questions

Old 10-20-2013, 10:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few noob questions

After years of wanting a Jeep; I finally bought a 2013 unlimited sport. I ended up going with black because of the options and the other 2013s still available here (stationed in Germany). I am wondering if any of you are nervous about your Jeep when you have the doors and top off since there is no way to keep people out of it when you park. Also, what are the limitations on off road as stock? I ask this since it will be a while before I can start any useful mods, but want to use the Jeep and not just keep her on the pavement.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by LostDog13
After years of wanting a Jeep; I finally bought a 2013 unlimited sport. I ended up going with black because of the options and the other 2013s still available here (stationed in Germany). I am wondering if any of you are nervous about your Jeep when you have the doors and top off since there is no way to keep people out of it when you park. Also, what are the limitations on off road as stock? I ask this since it will be a while before I can start any useful mods, but want to use the Jeep and not just keep her on the pavement.
Congratulations! The key to the Jeep with no doors/top/softtop is never leave anything in it where you would be concerned about it being taken. And definitely don't lock the center console or glove box--repairing them costs more than anything you should be leaving in them. If you need security for some reason, look into some of the gear such as Tuffy offers--from under the driver's seat to a new center console to a drawer in the back of the Jeep, they offer a lot of options.

As for mods you need before wheeling your Jeep: None! Isn't that great? Mods will help you take on tougher trails, and be more self-sufficient (though it's always safer and more fun to go with another Jeep). But, the stock X/Sport is very capable. Get out there and give it a whirl ...

Nearly seven years ago. I have rock rails and swaybar quick disconnects (you can use wrenches if you don't have quick disconnects), and that's it. I'm still running the stock SRAs in these pictures! (That is my son you see driving, BTW) ...

You do a little bit at a time and in six or seven years your Jeep will be nearly finished (they can't ever be finished, BTW!) ...

BTW: A completely stock '13 Rubi went with me on that trip depicted immediately above--about 160 miles over four days and three nights in the Arkansas Ozarks--and he was pulling a trailer! ...
Old 10-21-2013, 01:51 AM
JK Newbie

Very nice.

Do you always disconnect the sway bar on trails, or just for rock crawling?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:54 AM
JK Newbie

Double post.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:54 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by LostDog13
Very nice.

Do you always disconnect the sway bar on trails, or just for rock crawling?
If it was electronic, I would always to smooth the ride (I would mod a Rubi so I could even in 2WD). But, I often don't. In above Arkansas run, I aired down, but left swaybar connected.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Congratulations! The key to the Jeep with no doors/top/softtop is never leave anything in it where you would be concerned about it being taken. And definitely don't lock the center console or glove box--repairing them costs more than anything you should be leaving in them. If you need security for some reason, look into some of the gear such as Tuffy offers--from under the driver's seat to a new center console to a drawer in the back of the Jeep, they offer a lot of options.

As for mods you need before wheeling your Jeep: None! Isn't that great? Mods will help you take on tougher trails, and be more self-sufficient (though it's always safer and more fun to go with another Jeep). But, the stock X/Sport is very capable. Get out there and give it a whirl ...

Nearly seven years ago. I have rock rails and swaybar quick disconnects (you can use wrenches if you don't have quick disconnects), and that's it. I'm still running the stock SRAs in these pictures! (That is my son you see driving, BTW) ...

You do a little bit at a time and in six or seven years your Jeep will be nearly finished (they can't ever be finished, BTW!) ...

BTW: A completely stock '13 Rubi went with me on that trip depicted immediately above--about 160 miles over four days and three nights in the Arkansas Ozarks--and he was pulling a trailer! ...
This post nails it. Stock Jeeps can do more than you can imagine. I'd much rather see a stock Jeep with rock rash or showing some trail use. Much better than the lifted Jeeps with 35's sitting in the mall lot with an owner that doesn't take it off road.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:05 AM
JK Newbie

She will stay nice while I am still here, but plan on tAking her out as soon as I get back Stateside.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

don't leave anything in it that u don't wanna lose...that being said I run door and topless half the year and have had a jerry can stolen...go figure...

Quick Reply: Few noob questions