Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Finally Did It! My first Jeep

Old 04-12-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Did It! My first Jeep

17 years after turning 16, and 6 years after joining this forum, I finally ordered my Jeep. On Tuesday, the 3rd, I ordered a 2 dr silver Sport. I was actually planning to get a TJ but finally gave up on finding one that wasn't a wreck or nearly the price of a JK. Always wanted a Rubicon, but could only rationalize the Sport vs the $12k I was planning on spending for a TJ. For an extra $10k, I do feel like I'm getting a lot more vehicle.

Now on to what I think everyone on this forum likes to hear about - Mods

1. Already picked up a set of nearly brand new '12 Rubicon wheels/tires from another JK forum member. The classifieds here are great. (Also up'd my gear ratio in my order knowing I would be doing this)
2. Ordered with a hardtop (wasn't going to be the wife wanted it for Chicago winter) so also got a brand new '12 soft top off classifieds.
3. Ordered up a Racor storage lift which I'm going to use for hardtop removal / hoisting. (Read about this lift here in forum)
4. Still want to find some rails/steps.
5. Still need to get some mirrors for when I pull the doors. Haven't found the perfect solution yet.
6. Still working on how I can keep Jeep from getting soaked at train station when I leave it there (for commute) with sides and doors off. Ideas?

Anyway, reading up on everything here in the forums was immensely helpful, so thanks to everybody.

Dealer thinks I'll have my Jeep this month. Reading here, it sounds like 7 weeks is more typical. Finger crossed...

-JJ
Old 04-12-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Congrats!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Congrats... it only took me 30 yrs to buy my Jeep after I wanted one...

here's an idea for when you have it parked at the train station....
http://www.quadratec.com/products/11186_310X_PG.htm

Old 04-12-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back?!?

Anyway you can get a Bestop Trail Cover for leaving it topless and doorless. Also, I recommend the American Outlaw Mirrors for when your doors are off. They don't vibrate when you are going down the road. They also look good.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Default Have to do it.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonesje2
17 years after turning 16, and 6 years after joining this forum, I finally ordered my Jeep. On Tuesday, the 3rd, I ordered a 2 dr silver Sport. I was actually planning to get a TJ but finally gave up on finding one that wasn't a wreck or nearly the price of a JK. Always wanted a Rubicon, but could only rationalize the Sport vs the $12k I was planning on spending for a TJ. For an extra $10k, I do feel like I'm getting a lot more vehicle.

Now on to what I think everyone on this forum likes to hear about - Mods

1. Already picked up a set of nearly brand new '12 Rubicon wheels/tires from another JK forum member. The classifieds here are great. (Also up'd my gear ratio in my order knowing I would be doing this)
2. Ordered with a hardtop (wasn't going to be the wife wanted it for Chicago winter) so also got a brand new '12 soft top off classifieds.
3. Ordered up a Racor storage lift which I'm going to use for hardtop removal / hoisting. (Read about this lift here in forum)
4. Still want to find some rails/steps.
5. Still need to get some mirrors for when I pull the doors. Haven't found the perfect solution yet.
6. Still working on how I can keep Jeep from getting soaked at train station when I leave it there (for commute) with sides and doors off. Ideas?

Anyway, reading up on everything here in the forums was immensely helpful, so thanks to everybody.

Dealer thinks I'll have my Jeep this month. Reading here, it sounds like 7 weeks is more typical. Finger crossed...

-JJ
Welcome man
Old 04-12-2012, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Congrats and enjoy
Old 04-12-2012, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Congrats man. I just got mine 2 months ago. Mods are addicting. BEWARE!

Quick Reply: Finally Did It! My first Jeep