Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Fire Extinguisher

Old 04-14-2008, 07:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire Extinguisher

With all this talk about Jeep fires, I am considering getting an extinguisher to keep in the Jeep.
Any suggestions about specific brands / types / models to get, and what mounting brackets work best? What are some good locations to mount it permanently, as I figure the roll bar leaves it too open for theft.

I would imagine keeping it up front within easy reach would be best in an engine fire situation.

Just curious to see or hear what others have done.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:32 PM
JK Super Freak

This is what I did - pretty simple.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:43 AM
JK Jedi

An extinguisher is one of the first things I put in mine, definitely a good idea, especially if you'll be going off-road.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Good Mounts

I drilled mine ino the seat rail on the passenger side. Pretty good location and solid mount too!
My property managers security guard caught a guy trying to steal it tonight @WORK! What the F*%K is a homeless dude gonna do with an extinguisher? Not putting out any "house fires" I guess?

I work in a restaurant as a manager so I made the guy a Pot Roast Melt "Sammich" with cheddar and carmelized onions and didn't press charges. It's a freakin extinguisher.

Alex the homeless has sworn allegiance to me and any, "crusades" I might care to engage in! He swore to protect the Jeep @ all costs! ROFLMAO!

S.R.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Homeless thief's are my hero's too
Old 04-15-2008, 04:58 AM
JK Freak

make sure it can put out fires nad you can reach it.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Bigger is better period. There is nothing like putting out a fire only for it to flare back up and you do not have anything left in the extinguisher. I carry two one on the roll bar and one under the drivers seat. I used to carry a small Halon extinguisher which worked great the one time I had to use it (not my vehicle) but you can't get those anymore.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by only_in_my_jeep
Bigger is better period. There is nothing like putting out a fire only for it to flare back up and you do not have anything left in the extinguisher. I carry two one on the roll bar and one under the drivers seat. I used to carry a small Halon extinguisher which worked great the one time I had to use it (not my vehicle) but you can't get those anymore.
I agree with the bigger the better, I carry a 3lb up front on the DS seat rail, so it's close at hand, and a 4lb. in the back cargo area.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a note about vandals - if you leave your Jeep parked with no top, and the riff-raff see a fire extinguisher in it, they consider that an open invitation to unload the fire extingusher all over the inside of your Jeep. Ask me how I know. That stuff is a freaking MESS to clean up.

I still carry one, but I have it mounted under the front seat now so it's out of sight. I know where it is and can still get to it in a hurry, but the idiots don't know it's there unless they go looking. I think it's just too tempting when it's hanging right there on the roll bar for all the world to see. Stupid people suck .
Old 04-15-2008, 10:45 AM
JK Junkie

I mounted 1 on each side at the base of the front seats, so anyone in the front can grab it very quickly. i personally don;t like the roll bar mount as it would be too difficult to get it needed quickly and the top was up.

Not the best pic, but you can see it next to the seat.

And the passenger side, sam location

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher