Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Simple Fire Extinguisher Solution

Old 02-17-2008, 12:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Fire Extinguisher Solution

If you are looking for a simple Fire Extinguisher solution, I looked around and found that the First Alert Auto Fire Extinguisher (box and all) just fits inside the center console. I kept it in the box to help keep it from rattling around, but have the top of the box open. Here’s a picture with it in the console:
Old 02-17-2008, 01:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just playing devils advocate, Do you lock your console?

mike
Old 02-17-2008, 01:56 PM
JK Super Freak

wiredawg_mg - I don’t usually lock it since - I usually park my Jeep in my garage or out in the middle of nowhere. If I’m out wheeling then there’s no need to lock it.

Maybe keeping it in a locked console could be a side benefit? If you have it strapped to the roll bar it’s out in the open someone may want to “borrow” it. OTOH - if it’s out in the open and someone needs it then they’ll see it an hopefully use it. If it’s locked in the console and you need it fast it will be harder to get, if it’s in an unlocked console it should be handy to access by the driver or passenger in an emergency.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Super Freak

SONIC - yeah, I found I was filling it up with crap too, so I moved out the suff that I don’t need ready access to into other locations and made room for the extinguisher - which I may (hopefully not) need ready access.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by joe002
wiredawg_mg - I don’t usually lock it since - I usually park my Jeep in my garage or out in the middle of nowhere. If I’m out wheeling then there’s no need to lock it.

Maybe keeping it in a locked console could be a side benefit? If you have it strapped to the roll bar it’s out in the open someone may want to “borrow” it. OTOH - if it’s out in the open and someone needs it then they’ll see it an hopefully use it. If it’s locked in the console and you need it fast it will be harder to get, if it’s in an unlocked console it should be handy to access by the driver or passenger in an emergency.

Sorry to give you a hard time. The Fireman in me couldn't resist. The most important thing is that you have one.

I do like it in the front, having it on the on the roll bar looks "cool" but I would rather have it up with me incase I need it.

On a side note, I used to have a Commanche that I kept an extiguisher behind the seat. One day I put something behind the seat, puhed the seat back and I had dry chemical all over the cab. It tasted like hell and took for ever to get rid of.

Last edited by wiredawg_mg; 02-17-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

wiredawg_mg - thanks for the reminder about keeping it unlocked when you are out wheeling. You certainly wouldn’t want to have to unlock the console while your Jeep is on fire!
Old 02-17-2008, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

You know it brother
Old 02-17-2008, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

You may want to reconsider locking your center console. Take a pry bar/tire iron and contemplate how hard it would be to open that locked console. Trust me, it didn't take the thief long to break mine open in my TJ. And I bet he probably didn't have much of a pry bar on hand.

If you can't part with it.. don't keep it in your Jeep.

Secondly, I kept a fire extinguisher on my B pillar roll bar of my TJ for the 4 years that I owned it and parked in some shady areas and never lost it. Not to mention my CB radio that was mounted under my sound bar. I'd leave it parked with doors, windows, top off like that. Never had a problem. The only time I did was when I locked my doors and center console. No, really.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

To add. My fire extinguisher was just mounted using the original mount that came with it. That was mounted to my roll bar using the metal pipe clamps. Not sure what you'd call them but the ones that tighten as you turn the screw. It worked out great, never fell off during any wheeling or potholes/speed bumps.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Evan JK
You may want to reconsider locking your center console...
Yeah, as I indicated I don’t usually lock it. Actually I only locked it once - just to verify that it actually locked!

I don’t leave valuables in my Jeep either. I used to own a Triumph TR-6 (convertible too), and lost my radio knobs about 4 times, then the radio. It was parked in an apartment parking lot. At least they didn’t trash the top. Noting taken fro the Jeep - yet.

Quick Reply: Simple Fire Extinguisher Solution