Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First Oil Change! Seemed expensive!

Old 02-13-2007, 04:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it yourself?! Screw that! Ez Lube mobil 1 Synthetic. I drop it off, walk to In-N-Out with my 2 year old get a Double Double with grilled onions fries "animal style" (So. Cal's will get that) and I come back it's DONE! Hell they even wash the windows & vacuum inside.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not from SoCal, but now I'm hungry!
Thanks!
Steve
Old 02-14-2007, 09:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CLACKEY573
Do it yourself?! Screw that! Ez Lube mobil 1 Synthetic. I drop it off, walk to In-N-Out with my 2 year old get a Double Double with grilled onions fries "animal style" (So. Cal's will get that) and I come back it's DONE! Hell they even wash the windows & vacuum inside.
i get what you are saying. i have done "the drop off" for all my past vehicles. i feel like i should at least learn how to do this myself. for years i have wanted a jeep. now i have one. i want to learn to do simple mechanic stuff to it myself. instead of having to rely on a mechanic or company for the easier things like brake/oil changes, belt replacements and other stuff that can be done without the need for special tools. i guess i want that feeling that I maintain MY jeep. hell i wouldn't mind learning how to do slightly more difficult things. i don't know what that might turn out to be but i wouldn't mind learning it.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:16 PM
JK Freak

I have owned cars that were so difficult to change the oil that for me it was better to take them to the Jiffy Lube. The jeep and my truck are both really simple so that makes it easy for me to crawl under and get it done.

I am no mechanic but I too like learning as much as I can so I can do things myself. I have had trouble finding good honest mechanics so I figure if I can do it myself I might as well. Brakes are usually pretty easy to do. Especially disk brakes!

I enjoy websites like this one because it allows me to learn enough to know what repairs I can do myself.

Learn what you can, you won't regret it.
Bryan
Old 02-15-2007, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duneslider
I have owned cars that were so difficult to change the oil that for me it was better to take them to the Jiffy Lube. The jeep and my truck are both really simple so that makes it easy for me to crawl under and get it done.

I am no mechanic but I too like learning as much as I can so I can do things myself. I have had trouble finding good honest mechanics so I figure if I can do it myself I might as well. Brakes are usually pretty easy to do. Especially disk brakes!

I enjoy websites like this one because it allows me to learn enough to know what repairs I can do myself.

Learn what you can, you won't regret it.
Bryan
exactly how i feel
Old 03-08-2007, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CJ2a
Amsoil would be my choice. Been using their lubes for years. My 1996 Dodge Ram V10 has only had 12 oil changes in its life. I changed the gear lube for the second time last year as it had been in there over 100,000 miles. The gears still had the original machine marks on the teeth. I have not had to do any engine work, so I have no idea what condition its in, but if my old Jeeps were any indication, it too looks like new.

If i was buying oil for my JK, here is what I'd get:

Amsoil Series 2000 0w-30
Amsoil Syncromesh Manual Transmission Fluid
Amsoil Universal ATF
Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 Gear lube
Amsoil Series 2000 Grease

CAPACITIES
Engine, with filter..........6.0 quarts
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........13.0 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Initial Fill..........4.0 quarts[1]
Manual Transmission, nsg370..........3.2 pints
Differential, with 186 FBI Front..........2.1 pints
Differential, with 216 FBI Front..........2.7 pints
Differential, with 198 RBI Rear..........3.9 pints
Differential, with 226 RBI Rear..........4.7 pints
Transfer Case,NV241..........4.2 pints

TORQUES
Oil Drain Plug.....20 ft-lbs
Transfer case
Fill Plug.....15-25 ft-lbs
Drain Plug.....15-25 ft-lbs
Manual Transmission
Fill Plug.....22 ft-lbs
Drain Plug.....22 ft-lbs

I also intend to install one of these:

Specificly the one on the right with the preoiler. With Amsoil, you can easily go a year or up to 35,000 miles between changes as the oil doesn't wear out. The problem is the filters. The setups pictured run a regular filter (although MUCH larger than stock) as well as a 'bypass' filter that allows a slower filtration of some of the oil each pass to really scrub out the tiny particles that either don't get filtered in regular filters, or cause the regular filter to clog.

The chrome tube on top of the setup on the right is a pre-oiler that uses oil pressure to charge when the engine is running and then releases its charge when you turn the key to the 'on' position. You pause a few seconds in the 'on' while a buzzer sounds and then turn to start. During that time, the oil in the pre-oiler is forced into the engine under pressure to be sure an oil film exists on all the major bearings just before you start the vehicle.

The result? Very long engine life and minimal wear.
That is some great stuff right there! Did you ever get the by-pass and pre-luber installed? Got pics?
Old 03-08-2007, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RooX
'
but please for the love of god DONT use a fram filter on your new baby.
Here we go again.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiser
30 k isnt bad,, I usually do 40k+ and drive a second truck to try to keep my miles down. I drive 125 per day just to work, then I run all over when off on the weekends.
I've had my jeep since mid december and been splitting some of the driving with my wifes libby, but I'm up to 7900 today, just a hare over 2 months.
Steve C
And here I was hating my 6 mile commute.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cdash
Be glad you don't have a diesel!! Try 15 quarts and a $15 element filter!!
Now that's funny, I was thinking the same thing!! I have the 7.3L in my F-250 and the first oil change on that thing I was saying to myself... hmm I should go get the BIG gallon jugs instead of spending 20 minutes opening up all of those quarts

Quick Reply: First Oil Change! Seemed expensive!