Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First time out in snow...I think I TRASHED my D30 4.88's

Old 12-26-2010, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy First time out in snow...I think I TRASHED my D30 4.88's

Well living in NJ we are getting hammered with snow so despite the advice of my wife I go out and take a look. I come across a car stuck in a snow bank and offer to pull him out with the tow strap. So as I am pulling him out which was seeming to go very easy btw, all of a sudden I hear a clunk up front. So I stop and get out and I thought I smelled gear oil but didnt see anything so I get back in and tried to go forward and hear clink, clink so I take it out of 4wd and unhook and pull the Jeep up and get out and push the guy out. Well now I crawl home in 2wd and here I sit typing this.

The gears have around 1,000 miles on them and this is my daily driver. I had bought them from Northridge so they are I believe either Superior or Yukon. They were professionally installed and I followed the break in period to a T and when I changed the gear oil it looked good and I filled it up with Royal Purple. I never had any indication that things up there weren't right, no vibes or noises beforehand.

Before I get under there and pop off the cover to take a look, any ideas on what happened and what I could be looking at replacing from your experience?

I need to get this back on the road ASAP, so please help.

Oh and once I pop the cover off and pull out whatever is floating around in there, would it be ok to drive in 15 miles to a shop in 2wd?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked your axle u-joints yet, driveshaft? Take a looksee at those first.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

oh god. d30 strikes again. keep us updated. and good luck. i have a feeling i dont think its the gears and what you just had installed. U joints/ shafts
Old 12-26-2010, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I destroyed my D30 2 weeks after I got it. I really think the 5.13s in the D30 were installed incorrectly because there were stress fractures on all of the teeth, along with the missing and chipped teeth on both the ring gear and pinion. Going back to what you were saying though, if you trashed your R&P, it would sound like an itermittent grind every time the wheels passed through a certain point in their rotation. Along with the gear grinding every time you put a load on it at that specific point on the ring gear. A clunk or snap sounds more like a u-joint or axle shaft. If you need to though, you can pull out the drive shafts and drive it. No worry about reinstalling the stub shaft either, the JK have self contained bearings... JPop figured that one out for me.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
I would not drive it any miles until I knew what it is.

It could be anything from u-joints to driveshaft to pinion shaft to gears.

Driving it at all could severely damage the housing or other components.

If you are not experienced enough to inspect it, I'd call on the help of a friend, or trailer it to a shop.

My rear pinion bearings failed while in Moab last Thanksgiving. I put maybe 5 miles on it after I noticed fluid and play in the pinion shaft.

The sand like residue from the bearings ended up requiring a new axle housing on top of new gears.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Aaaaaaaand that too...
Old 12-26-2010, 07:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NJKen
Well living in NJ we are getting hammered with snow so despite the advice of my wife I go out and take a look. I come across a car stuck in a snow bank and offer to pull him out with the tow strap. So as I am pulling him out which was seeming to go very easy btw, all of a sudden I hear a clunk up front...
What the others said.

Also, were you pulling him out with your tow strap up front or in the rear? If you were backing up, then you could have damaged your transfer case. There was a thread or two about this a while ago.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by joe002
What the others said.

Also, were you pulling him out with your tow strap up front or in the rear? If you were backing up, then you could have damaged your transfer case. There was a thread or two about this a while ago.
after i posted the my first response, i thought about this... hope you pulled from the rear
Old 12-26-2010, 09:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

First THANK YOU ALL! So much as once morning hits and I have a chance to get under it I'll be able to inspect what failed.

Originally Posted by Rafi
after i posted the my first response, i thought about this... hope you pulled from the rear
I was pulling him from my rear hitch D-ring
Old 12-27-2010, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

Spider gears when on mine a few weeks ago but the gears were fine it was a good excuse to get a locker.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe002
What the others said.

What has happened to the transfer case when people have pulled others out in reverse? Are the components in the front portion of the t-case lighter duty or something, so when the main pulling axle is the front it puts too much stress on it?

Quick Reply: First time out in snow...I think I TRASHED my D30 4.88's